Folding Shop Crane Offsite Use notification

As suggested at the last Board meeting, Printmaking will be needing the use of the folding shop crane lift this weekend to move/load the new letterpress into the rental moving van.

If anyone is available who is familiar with the use of the crane and can give advice this week it would be appreciated. We will be picking the crane up Friday evening, and returning it Sunday evening.

Thanks!

Paul Wilson

2 Likes

If no one else speaks up I’m not an expert, but I’ve used them. You can also borrow mine if some one sees the need for the DMS crane in auto this WE. Let me know quickly and I can haul it in tonight. I do not plan to be back at DMS again before Saturday.

How heavy is the press you are moving?

1 Like

Approximately 1500 pounds. Its pretty much the same thing as what we already have in Printmaking, just remove the electrical motor and the paper feed.

Not actual press, but same model:

1 Like

So 3/4 ton. Most shop cranes have an extendable arm. When extended, the lift rating is substantially reduced. You will likely need the long arm.

How do you intend to hold it? Is it on a pallet already? Or are you going to strap/chain it?

2 Likes

The Max capacity of the OTC crane does state 4000lbs however as mentioned above that is with the boom at minimum extension. As long as the boom is about halfway extended it should theoretically work (load rating wise). However it’s going to be very difficult/ possibly impossible to lift it without the arm fully extended.

Also, it’s very difficult to maneuver anything from point A to point B with a floor crane. With the right mix of chains and weight distribution this might be doable but keep in mind your trying to do the job of a Forklift with a tool that is really just meant to lift up and put down. Hopefully it’s a super flat surface from where the press stands to the truck it’s going into.

Wooot! Nobody got killed (so far… :sweat_smile: )

6 Likes

Congratulations!

Strap it in good. Strap it in real good.