Fixing/Diagnosing a scroll saw?

I have a Dremel brand scroll saw that won’t move the blade when the power switch turned on. If I manually move it the saw seems to move freely and before it just quit it did have a small tic where you had to turn it on high then back to low to get her going. Any suggestions on where to find resources to try and figure out whats wrong so I can fix it? Seems stupid to pay $50 for our tool guy to look at it.

It’s probably gummed up inside. The grease they used turns hard and sticky.

Any advise on where to get info on how to properly rip it apart? It’s gotta be something stupid like that I just am not mechanical enough to look at it cold turkey and trust myself to not break it further

Most of the time taking apart commercial tools is pretty straight forward - there is remarkably little to them. When in doubt I usually start with a google image search with the brand and model number of the tool and add terms like “exploded view” or “parts view” etc. to get a good idea of how it’s assembled. The only “issues” I really run into are when the manufacturer uses some obscure security fastener (a screw/bolt with a weird head) or when opening up the tool carelessly and a spring goes shooting across the garage… Having the exploded view will give you a heads up on the 2nd part.

1 Like

Does it sound like it wants to move at all and it’s just not turning, or is it not turning on at all?

The bit about having to move the switch, plus it seeming to move freely by hand tell me that it’s probably an electrical connection issue. If you pull the switch out of the unit you may be able to open it up and find some heavily dust encrusted or worn out parts.

I might be tempted to toggle the switch vigorously a few times, as well as try to energize the thing and then CAREFULLY start the blade manually (use a push stick or something) to see if it’s a motor torque issue.

Turning on, low hum, but no engagement of the arm whereas before turning it to high and back to low would have allowed for it to engage. Husband is bringing home his little wrenches so we can crack it open

Anyone know of a way I can contact Jeff Courtman who teaches the woodshop lathes? In registered for his class this morning, but one of my coworkers called out at work so I have to go and won’t be able to go to the class.

I know it’s a 6 person limit, so I really want to release my class slot to someone else. Won’t let me remove my rsvp.

If it was not an emergency at work, I would not have signed up.

I’d post it as one on talk

1 Like

The older Dremel saws used dogbone screw heads. Those drivers aren’t always easy to find.

Thank you, I’ll do that.