Five No-Shows, a Late Cancellation and No Honorarium

In the past, IIRC correctly around 2016-2017 or so, it started with Wood Shop Basic classes. Big back log, when two or three classes would go up, some folks would sign up for all of them - then decide later which they’d attend, never bothering to cancel. They were out nothing and blocked people out from signing up and classes held weren’t full. Big problem when trying to clear a backlog.

Then a $5 sign-up fee was imposed. NON-REFUNDABLE. Refundable deposits become very burdensome from Finance administration standpoint. Very minimal amount. It’s amazing how worthless “Free” sign-ups are or basically “Free” anything. But that $5 fee resulted in a BIG drop off in multiple sign-ups. Having to pay $10-$15 just for convenience is something most people won’t pay. Now selecting a class had a cost.

It worked very well and was only used for classes that had big backlogs and sign-up problems. I have always preferred the the “No Fee” for classes model as classes are good and important reason to main membership at DMS - and a reason to show up. This is different from any material fees that are needed for the class. I would suggest this be reused again on a case by case basis.

3 Likes

I still have some no-shows however it’s been much improved once I began following this process and not too much extra work for the me as the instructor.

1. If you no show I put your name on a list with the date of class you skipped
  2. If you never enroll again that’s the end of it
  3. If however I see you enroll again you will receive an email from me asking why I shouldn’t choose the reject button on your request and I reference your past behavior.
  4. To date I think almost everyone had a halfway decent excuse and then, when accepted into the class, they followed through with their commitment to come to the class OR cancelled appropriately beforehand if they couldn’t make it.
  5. If I ever have anyone no-show twice, I’m going to place an asterisk next to their name on my list and reject them automatically if I see any new request from them. Two strikes and you’re out. I’m a volunteer and I don’t have time for such nonsense from adults.
    (This has not occurred in 2+ years)
9 Likes

@jphelps Thanks for posting your plan. I had thought about trying to find a previous post where you described it. This saved me the trouble and gives your latest thoughts on it.

When an instructor submits a class, there is a section for Restrictions that has checkoffs for “DMS Members Only” and “Attendees Require Approval.”

If Require Approval is checked, an email is sent to the teacher when someone signs up. They can Accept or Reject the request. As with every other option, it adds a task that the teacher must keep up with but it works well for Jay and probably others.

1 Like

Ummm… we’re already having issues keeping the Calendar functioning at the level it’s set up for. Have we gotten back the feature that updates the “Full” status correctly? No. I’ve heard of several “issues” from folks wanting to update the Calendar. (Too many hands, bad coding/documentation, version issues, etc.)

I mean, it’s a lovely thought, but I don’t think we can implement it.

1 Like

I don’t think so. I register for ten different classes and my credit limit is lowered by $100 to $200. Just no.

1 Like

So you are saying a one-time tax on anyone wanting to take a class? Would you provide a way to get the back if someone was to quit or not take any more classes?

1 Like

IMHO, a limited degree of “public shaming” can be helpful. Have a public list of the blatant no-show offenders so that all instructors can know whose registrations to question or cancel.

2 Likes

Of course.

If not this, then a much more punitive system could be put in place. Would you rather that?

We are all paying $50-60 per month to be members. A $20 deposit isn’t that big a deal.

1 Like

The no-show problem is the unfortunate result of the combination of a registration system and a limit on attendance.

A better way would be classes that are first come-first served with an optional fee to guarantee a seat.

1 Like

This is, more or less, what we have now. Sign up for the class. Pay the fee (that most of our instructors are placing on their classes to help establish attendee “skin in the game”) for a seat and you’re in like Flynn. Don’t sign up, or pay the fee, and we advise you to show up anyway, and see if there are any no-shows and if the instructor is willing/able to take “standbys”. I can not speak for all instructors, but the standbys are typically accepted first come first served when I am able.

Edited to add: this is one of the places I miss Carienn. She was always very vocal about not nickle & diming members for whom the $40.00-$60.00/mo is already a struggle. I appreciate her advocacy for the retired/fixed income/others not “flush” with funds, even when I disagreed with some of the measures proposed.

6 Likes

Topologically, you are correct for classes requiring a fee.

Brady would rather to offer his classes for free. For those, having an option to pay for a guaranteed seat is better. Cannot or do not want to pay money? Pay with time by showing up early.

5 Likes

It can be said that after paying $50…60 each month for membership, some may have nothing to spare for classes.

3 Likes