First photo from the Dallas Makerspace Darkroom

I searched Dallas Makerspace on YouTube and I found this interesting

1 Like

I remember the rotating door for the darkroom at Ladybird. Got kind of interesting when we had a group of people.

1 Like

How many still develop their own film?
advancements now take us direct from camera to printer.
But I still love color slides.

I learned in highschool and really enjoyed the darkroom tricks like burning/dodging and double exposure. Sure you can do the same effects in PS now but there is something to be said about working in the dark. Watching the print fade to life with no undo button :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah - Kodachrome 64 and 200 - the benchmarks of the era.
Kodachrome 200, Ektachrome 200, Fujichrome 200 were my top go to slide films.
Great training/experience and preparation for going digital.

You’ll find a lot of ppl interested in film still develop it at home or though labs but I feel that a majority won’t print them by traditional means, as they’ll print, scan, and upload to social media/get printed by commercial sources. I exclusively shoot film and develop at home but rarely use my enlargers but that’s mostly because I print through alt process (printing processes that pre-date silver gelatin)

1 Like

I like shooting film. The hardest part is finding labs that still do true optical prints with an enlarger. Otherwise, what you end up with is a scanned negative and digital print.

I think for us dinosaurs that grew up on film, we also learned more about in frame composing and metering. Now my digital I can set it so it’ll bracket seven frames when I push the shutter. Be able to PS everything is nice, but that is more digital manipulation than capturing a photo. I enjoy both, they are different, each has advantages and skill sets.

1 Like

I don’t do much film anymore, but if I’m ever doing landscape photos or anything with really intricate detail a well-used sheet film camera is still hard to beat.

I actually donated some rotary print development drums that minimize darkroom square footage requirements.