Firing Timeline/timeframes

Is there a timeline for when your items are placed on the greenware shelf to be fired? Is there an estimated timeline for when it will be fired and placed on the to be glazed shelf? Is there a timeline for once your item is glazed as to when it will be fired the second time? I’m asking because I placed a few items on the greenware shelf almost 2 weeks ago and haven’t seen them since. I’ve also checked the kiln photos and haven’t seen them.
It would be easier to know the stages my items are in so I don’t have to keep checking different shelves or wondering where they are.

Not really. It varies too widely depending on how much stuff is around to be loaded.

A. Generally speaking, greenware rarely goes on the Attention Needed shelf, but you might look there.

B. 2 weeks, eh? You may not be recognizing your item when viewed from the top. I loaded bisque Friday night. At that point there was one shelf of items not loaded in previous kilns. (And a bunch of newer items.) That kiln hasn’t been unloaded yet. Still, I suspect that your item has been bisqued.

We unloaded a bisque today and the shelf was so full we have had to stack some items and you would need to very carefully weed through to make sure you’ve got all of your pieces. It is overflowing into the greenware shelves.

You will also need to use the ladders to get a view of the top shelf, as it is also completely packed and not visible from the ground. The last of the bisque and glaze was loaded today and will be out by Wednesday, but if you have pieces already on the shelf we recommend picking up ASAP because we will not have a place to put the new ones if people do not come get the ones already out.

The kiln team is entirely volunteer, we try to fire at least one load a day but often volunteers cannot make it up when expected. We are always needing more volunteers, as it makes firing move more swiftly, if that is something you are interested in :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

If you cannot make it up to the space, maybe show us what you are looking for and someone can look for you.

1 Like

I drive to DMS every weekend, and twice during the week to check on the things I’ve made or am working on. Most times I just can’t find them. I’ll add photos of them

1 Like

I’m definitely interested in volunteering and being apart of the kiln team when needed. Just let me know when I can start training.
Yes, I scour through the shelves and use the ladder for the items on the top shelves. I’ll be there this evening to look again. I’m really hoping I can find them.

1 Like

Talked to @Mosii tonight, here’s one of the pieces:

1 Like

I do not recall ever seeing that on the to be fired shelf. October 9th? Wouldn’t that still be on the in progress shelf? It still looks wet.

That’s my point. I placed it on the drying shelf and I haven’t seen it since.

Oh…i thought you said you put it on the to be fired shelf. Well if it was labeled…being less than 30 days,we wouldn’t have thrown it out or even put a note on it…if it wasn’t labeled we would have put a yellow note on it giving you time to lable it. I bet it is there. I am going in today and can check again.

1 Like

Sorry…i dont see it anywhere. Weird.

Thank you for checking again.

2 Likes