Firing sequence at DMS as of 04/2024

@def.ceramics – I’m moving this over here, so that we can converse without clogging the kiln pictures thread.

The kiln process starts with placing your bone-dry greenware on the greenware-ready to fire shelf. That’s the one on the far right as you’re facing the kilns. From there, the kiln team loads what will fit in the kiln. We fire to Cone 04 for bisque. Mostly. When the kilns are running right. There are no guarantees on turn-around.

When the bisque is unloaded, pictures will be posted. The bisque will be on the 4 bottom shelves on the left, and maybe further up, or sitting on the cart, depending on how loaded up the shelves are. Bisque items may be stacked. You have a minimum of 30 days to pick up your items. (We mark items every 30 days, and then those items have 30 days to be picked up or we toss them.)

Once glazed, you put your items on the Glaze To Be Fired shelves (first shelf unit on the right). Please follow guidelines – minimum 1/4" bare at the bottom. If your glaze is runny, please place your own cookie under your item. Items that don’t seem to match our guidelines will be moved to the Needs Attention Shelf (top shelf of the shelves flat on the wall to the right). There are many people on the kiln team, and we all have different experience and judgement. We fire to Cone 6. If you need a lower firing, you can request that through the monthly Ceramics Meeting.

Once out of the kiln, pictures are posted. Glazed items are on the top 3 shelves. Some tall people get carried away placing items on the topmost shelf.

4 Likes

Thank you! This is excellent information. I use 266 because I love the look of the bare clay, so typically have several inches of clearance above my feet. These are simple enough to follow, I look forward to getting in the rotation.

1 Like

What’s the firing cadence at DMM? I would be using the space initially to just fire my pieces that I throw at home, since I don’t have the ability to house a Kiln. I use C6 (standard Umbria 266) clay.

I just posted my dissertation on the kiln schedules, and tagged you.

@Team_Moderators - can we close this/link it to the thread I just started?

Good catch @jast!

Sorry for the out of sequence, but this brings it all under this thread. :grin:

2 Likes