Finishing Advice

I was asked to make a soap/shampoo/toiletries shelf/dish for a friend. This will fit into her shower shelf and rest on the tile. The shelf is 46"x4"x3/8" in size and made of teak wood. It will have water drainage slots in the shelf and be elevated about 1/16 of an inch off of the tile to allow it to drain.

She likes the native look of teak wood, but I was wondering if I should suggest it be finished with some type of oil finish to protect the wood more from the water in the shower. (I know teak is known for its water resistance, but would an oil finish enhance this resistance?

I love tung oil but was considering teak oil instead. (I know teak oil really isn’t made of teak wood of course, but the oil finishes wood very nicely) I could also use Danish oil or boiled linseed oil. Maybe something else I don’t know about would be better?

Any advice, suggestions, experience with finishing teak?

1 Like

I used an outdoor marine varnish on a bench I made last year. Still looks good after rain and snow. It was expensive though. Maybe $40/quart.

1 Like

What was the brand? Anything like this: http://www.rockler.com/man-o-war-spar-varnish

I believe it was this one.

I’m out of town but will look for it when I get home. I’m moving so I may not be able to find it yet.

Dan, I’ve got some of this:

https://www.epifanes.com/page/wood-finish-gloss

Doesn’t sound like you need a lot, so you are welcome to use what you need, if you want.

1 Like

Thanks Marshall. I’m going to test some Teak oil on a sample and see what it looks like. I’ve got to talk to my friend and see what she likes, too. I do appreciate the offer and the advice.

The main advantages of “spar” varnish over other finishes are flex and UV protection: spar varnish has a bit of give to it so wooden masts can flex without the finish peeling off of the surface. The UV protection is so it doesn’t break down in sunlight.

I don’t see either of these features being applicable in this case.

I would use the Tung Oil. Apply several layers, letting each absorb, until the wood is pretty saturated and stays shiny for 30+ minutes (2-4 coats most likely). Let sit 24 hours and then do it again. Let it sit a good couple of weeks to cure before putting into the shower full-time.

Give her a small bottle (pill bottle perhaps) of tung oil that she can reapply with a cotton ball over time, if needed.

1 Like

Thanks Mike. I love tung oil as I’ve used it on bowls and other turned objects.

1 Like

Tung oil isn’t terribly water resistent. Teak is, to a degree, but is ultra expensive.

If I wanted the work to last, regardless of base wood, I’d use either spar varnish, or one of the hard polymer finishes. Tung (or linseed) oil will dull out and look crappy after it gets wet a few times.

3 Likes