Filastruder Kit

We use to have a filastruder and I know @frank_lima has done some work with it before. I was wondering if we could get enough interest in maybe doing a class/workshop on making your own filament using a filastruder.

The problem with recycling ABS is making sure it’s clean, shredded into fine enough particles and mixed with virgin ABS pellets since recycled ABS loses it’s strength.

It does take up some space and is a lot of work babysitting it while it extrudes but it might be a useful thing to have at the space for the dedicated 3D printing guru’s.

I don’t remember the 'Space ever having one… We discussed it (and even tried to save ABS scraps to use in one, if we got one; but, people kept throwing actual trash in the box - instead of in the nearby trash can - even though the box was clearly marked /sigh); but, for all the reasons you mention, we didn’t actually get one (to my knowledge and recollection). I know a couple of members have made their own. I’m not sure how often they actually use them though…

It was Frank’s actually he was storing it in 3D fab at the time. But it
would be cool if we got one. I will discuss with @axeonos about it, it
would probably pay for itself if we could do about 10kg of our own plastic
without jamming the polyprinters.

Yuppers, I remember his…

THAT is the important part!

I believe that @Ken_Schmitt has or has had a filament extruder before. He may be able to give some insight as well… :slight_smile:

I still have the unfinished beast and a large plastic toolbox intended to put it into along with motors and controllers and bits of hozing… I never proceeded with it. it turned out to not to be practical for me to use as to purchase filament.

Since its been sitting idle and probably rusting, its mostly iron, I can donate it to someone. I hadn’t touched it in about 2 years.

I’m hoping that getting the newer filastruder v2 will be more reliable and less hassle to extrude. It would be an great donation to anyone interested. The filawinder and the diameter sensor would help a lot too.

Why are we asking the Board for $1000 to buy one when 3D Fab has thousands of dollars already?

We don’t know that because of QuickBooks and the PayPal issue.

Here ya go kids. How about a diy option…

Personally a filastruder isn’t useful for the space. Your just going to have people clogging their own nozzles at home when they make their own filament and then they’d be coming back to use the printers at the space

1 Like

I was under the impression that Allen and various folks were working on that.