Filament Slowly Leaks while Idle on .95

Hello 3D Fab Folks,

I set up to print on .95 tonight and noticed that after extruding through the prior filament to clear through to mine, my filament continued to slowly seep melted through the idle nozzle. I have been having problems getting prints to take (especially early on in the rafting support process). Now I am curious if my filament (Matterhackers Build 1.75mm Grey ABS) is not going to work at 250 degrees. It was cheap filament, so that is the first suspect to me, but there may be a nozzle or heating issue with .95 also or instead. I have not noticed this particular issue with this filament on other printers, but I have also not looked carefully at the nozzle after finishing my initial clearing extrude. What do you think? Any pointers would be appreciated to avoid building more birds’ nests around the nozzles.

this is gravity at work on a hot melted material. the solution is to not idle it with the nozzle hot. you don’t even need to “warm up” the nozzle before you hit print. if it has filament loaded you can just load your file and hit print.

if you load filament, it does need to be above 200c, but you can turn it back off after you change the filament. no need to leave it hot after that, it’ll warm up in no time after you hit print.

1 Like