Fiber laser...?

Sounds like the LASER’s owner found a bird’s nest on the ground. A pool of hard core makers and free storage. If the makers get it working then he could use it or sell it. Otherwise he has gained free long term storage. We could sell a service like this. We will repair your broken equipment for free and in the mean time we will provide thousands of dollars of free storage.

In what world does this make sense for DMS? If it doesn’t, let’s take the high road and give the owner thirty days to remove it.

1 Like

Sorry. That’s not my intent. Charles cited that there’s cost involved and I just wanted to point out this additional category of cost so we can account for that in our planning.

4 Likes

I’m with you. Let’s let the laser go and have the owner pick it up. I think he’s had enough free storage.
It might be different if it was a donation. I recall a number of pieces of equipment that were sold because there just wasn’t enough demand for them and I’m sure we didn’t want to store them if they weren’t going to be used.

Why the resistance to let it go? Does some one have a compelling reason to keep it?

I’d rather spend our precious dollars and time on something else.

2 Likes

My quick review of this thread displays ZERO resistance to letting this particular unit go (despite interests in “fiber laser” in general).

5 Likes

I posted a board agenda item for this. If you have a strong opinion about the future of the fiber laser, please let us know. :slight_smile:

Problem: The fiber laser does not belong to DMS and is taking up space. The laser will not be usable without significant expense and money spent on loaned equipment that can be taken back at any time is not an acceptable use of DMS funds.

Solution: Ask the owner of the fiber laser to pick it up by April 1, 2022. If it is not picked up before April 1, it will be disposed of.

Relevance: Clean up the space

https://source.dallasmakerspace.org/display/Board/2022-02-23+Board+Meeting

7 Likes

Unless meant to be optional by the owner, change wording from:
Ask the owner of the fiber laser … to
Notify the owner of the fiber laser …

Small but meaningful change.

Thanks

3 Likes

I would vote to ask the owner to remove the laser.
If it is more appropriate to post this in the BOD link, please let me know.
Best,
Jim

It would’ve been an amazing thing to have running at the space… To be able to make housings for projects in a much cleaner way that you could with the plasma CNC and much faster than you could with a spindle powered CNC or by hand.

I’m glad I didn’t hold my breath when it was dropped off at DMS.

2 Likes