Fiber laser...?

Is a fiber laser in the long term plans for any of the committees? I’ve occasionally heard both Laser and Metal Shop mention that idea, but I have no idea of the status.

Can anyone fill me in? I’m not looking for a commitment, just looking to understand the current thinking. Thanks.

1 Like

We have the Fiber Laser in the back of 102. Until Laser moves, its going to be hard to get going.

Maybe put in on the robot arm? lol there it a little sarcasm there.

5 Likes

However sometime in the expansion project the plans our power for said laser was removed. Every drawing I was ever shown had it on there along with the 480 service for the big TIG welder, but… Something changed.

We’re looking at a transfer switch and one at a time can run, but we’re stuck anyway until laser moves which is after woodshop etc

3 Likes

Wow, you and Tim were both quick on that! Thanks much for the info.

1 Like

My timing was impeccable.

As another side note, the laser needs a table still and a chiller. But given the current timeline we’re not in a rush to build or procure one.

5 Likes

3 Likes

I’m not in a hurry for what I would like to do with it. I’d be glad to read up on its capabilities in the meantime. Do you know the brand and/or model?

1 Like

Im looking for the pictures I have of it now. The manufacture Lumanatics(sp), they were bought by another company some time ago.

2 Likes

Took me a bit but I found it. At least I had it narrowed down to a year. I have over 14,000 pictures on my iPad/Iphone

4 Likes

Expansion Group has a 45 kVA transformer to create the 480 VAC required for the Fiberlaser. It will be installed when electrical work is done for the new Woodshop.

6 Likes

Thanks Rich; I had tried to follow up on this but hadn’t heard anything back. So it’s going to be run from the original 104 electrical room?

Yes, we already used up all of the available power in 102. It will go in 104.

1 Like

Or mount it on Sharks.

3 Likes

is it not 3 phase.

Without opening up the unit it looks like 3 phase as the conduit has 4 wires in it, 3 phases plus a ground. The 45kVA transformer we have is a 3 phase unit.

Has the fiber laser been set up now? Or does anyone know of a makerspace with a fiber laser? Tried the plasma cutter, not quite precise enough for my current project. Thanks,

No. While it’s supposed to be functional (or so I’ve heard), it requires 480V to even check. Annnddd, I don’t believe we currently have that available at this time.

1 Like

You are absolutely correct as well as we don’t have a table for it either.

3 Likes

I was recently involved in two conversations that lead me to believe that unit (picture) is not in working condition (even if we had power and the other infrastructure) and then there was discussions on purchasing a new one (someday) but either way nothing near-term, I don’t think.

Perhaps @cvrana (as laser chair) can elaborate better than I did.

The machine belongs to Metal Shop. @TBJK is the vice-chair so you can count on what he says above.