Feynman day, May 11

Richard Feynman was born on May 11. He was probably one the greatest makers of his day, working on the construction of the atomic bomb, and even earning a nobel prize. He had an incredible sense of humor, and was quite the prankster. His life and accomplishments are celebrated today much like a scientist’s April fool’s day, playing practical jokes. Join the celebration (or at least be forewarned :wink: ).

6 Likes

Looks like it’s time for me to dust off that copy of Six Easy Pieces …

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Back when my son and I still read aloud, we read “Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman!”. It started because the Boy was learning to pick locks. Which reminded me of Feynman’s safe cracking escapades.

3 Likes

Feynman is an inspiration to teachers everywhere. We all should watch the two minute totally non technical illustration of Conservation of Mechanical Energy.

@John_Marlow I have not read this one but its now on order from Dallas Library. A bunch more are available.

@heyheymama How old was Nick? I’m inspired. Just ordered from Amazon for my 12 yo grandson. Great book.

2 Likes

Around 13. There’s much in the book that’s controversial, not just amusing anecdotes. Many side conversations of import were started. Nick learned one should not admire a person too much, lest they turn out to have feet of clay.

1 Like