Felder RL350 Dust Collector Delivered

Plus the continuing problems with dust and the air conditioning…

1 Like

this is a significant consideration, the AC problems being mitigated by proper dust collection.

Summers in the metal shop can get pretty aggressive since the returns are all in Wood. The associated AC can’t be liking the regular freezing and clogged filters.

I don’t understand this sentence, are you saying its not possible because it will require taking down and replacing the current ducting in woodshop?

For reference this is how we installed the ducting initially in July 2014, you only have to remove two ceiling tiles for a man lift to reach the rafters in a particular spot

This is not a simple matter of taking down the old ducting and putting new in its place. There is an engineered solution that requires the old duct to come down, the ceiling grid to come down, new ducting installed, etc etc. This is the only way we get a warranty on the system.

The question is, can we use it in a temporary setup without voiding the warranty? Because sitting on it for a year isn’t going to be fun. Word on the street is woodshop doesn’t have any room for more storage.

I’m having a meeting on Saturday at noon in the lecture hall. This will be added to the agenda for discussion. I’m fine either way, but our installation date is going to be in August sometime at the earliest, and I have concerns about paying for installation twice and the duration between the two payments being justifiable. If we could get an estimate on the planned woodshop expansion date we could make a more educated decision at the meeting.

I haven’t found anywhere that says an engineered solution is required for warranty. Is there some pamphlet that says that?

There’s no need to use all new ducting otherwise. Using the existing stuff will still yield a massive improvement and keep the machine out of storage.

It is in the details.

Warranties are generally voided if the equipment is not used to specifications. In this case none of us are really qualified to say that the ducting meetings the machine’s requirements and thus the warranty would not be honored.

Purely as a SWAG, I don’t expect WS to move in 2019.

I think WS should at least talk to Feldar about doing a temporary install, and a reinstall when WS eventually moves. Get a minimum install that meets current needs and doesn’t void the warranty. Also, double check that the clock on the warranty hasn’t already started on the delivery date.

1 Like

Yes. This.
All the guessing and assuming isn’t getting anywhere. The meeting with Felder should happen before the WS meeting if at all possible. I will help anyway I can … but given the holiday, and a funeral I will attend Friday morning, my window is limited to Friday afternoon, maybe even mid-afternoon.

What keeps July from being an option?

As a member of the Expansion Group I tend to agree with Stan’s possible solution. I have never used the Woodshop so you know where my priorities are set…Expansion only.

Suggest you contact the professional installer and tell them exactly what the predicament is. We need a temporary installation and then have them come back again to do the final installation in the new area. Yes, they will bill you twice.

I also agree with Stan that you could easily locate the Felder on the other side of the demising wall in 102, install your input and output duct work through the wall where the 10 foot wide access door will eventually be going. The location of this future door is in your exact location. Suggest you ask the professional installer if any of your existing ducting can been used on a temporary basis and still maintain the warrantee.

There is plenty of AC power available in 102 without having to run expensive new circuits in 104. Your AC panel in the Woodshop is maxed out, cannot add any more new circuits.

The only down side I see to this idea is that you will have to monitor the sawdust levels from afar.

The location of the Felder in 102 would not interfere with any of the 102 construction as it would be setting in the future hallway between 102 and 104. I can get a temporary electrical connection installed pretty quick.

Oh, you do have one other choice. You could just let the Felder sit in the corner gathering dust until it is installed in your new Woodshop and save one installation cost. Watch your investment sit there and also watch the warrantee expire away.

The choice is yours to take.

3 Likes

And risk Mr Fire Marshall losing patience with us…

I am keeping the Fire Marshall totally aware of what is really going on here at DMS. He and I have no problems as we work to complete our expansion. He is fully aware that our compliance is in process. That’s all he is concerned about at the moment.

9 Likes

That wall I believe is also a firewall there may be implications of running a blower though a firewall especially a dust collector.

Also if y’all need more power I upped the specs of the power to the Multicam pretty sure it only needed 60 amps and I ran 100 amp wire to the multicam. I believe there is at least 40 amps of 208 capacity there. Figured we will need to add tools in the woodshop.

With our new Certificate of Occupancy we legally combined Suites 102 and 104 into one unit. We are allowed to add as many doors, windows, electrical, compressed air, or whatever through that demising wall. Heck, it is not even a supporting wall and could be totally removed except for a couple of support posts. Both 102 and 104 have a combined Fire Sprinkler System and the Fire Alarms are currently be combined. The new Fire Alarm system should be completed by next week. I see no issues here.

8 Likes

Thank you Rich. I grew up in the school of “Can’t isn’t a complete thought”. It is supposed to be “Can’t Yet”. As in I don’t know how yet. Fixing that “Yet” part is what people were given brains to do. I have a passionate dislike for brains that don’t understand the job at hand.

Let me know how I can help get/keep this moving.

5 Likes

We could just disable the Multicam it has fewer user than the table saws. We could use it’s space and wiring for the short term.

Dang brilliant solution, he said tongue in cheek. Rather than all the arm chair quarterbacks chiming in, let’s get a meeting together of the critical people after the committee makes a decision Saturday.

2 Likes

I think the other piece of this discussion is just whaat is the cost of each installation and who is going to pay both those costs.

2 Likes