Felder RL350 Dust Collector Delivered

Looks like the new Felder RL350 dust collection system has been delivered, what’s the plan to install it in woodshop? Will there be a planned outage of woodshop?

1 Like

Did the $57,000 approved on 2018-04-18 for this include installation costs?

From what I can find we have only paid $45,449.65 so far (4/5/2019 $38,985.02, 5/7/2019 $2,276.63, 4/10/2019 reclass to com bal of $4,188 deposit), I’m wondering if the additional 12k is a liability against the general fund that may not have been included in recent treasurer reports.

1 Like

This board meeting stated that it is includes installation.
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20180223

1 Like

They only approved an engineer report at that meeting from what the minutes say unless I am just bad at reading the minutes. The later emergency meeting Brandon linked to makes no such mention of how the money is actually allocated.

Equally significant … Do we have 65A-70A of 3 phase 230V power for it (or 75A of 3ph 208V power)? IIRC, the current DC is running on a 30A breaker - subpanel LE/8-10

1 Like

Might it be best to simply install this where it will eventually be located in the NEW woodshop location, instead of installing and then moving it? This would very much so speed up the process when we do finally move woodshop.

2 Likes

Will it sit until Woodshoop is ready for it? Doubt automotive wants it sitting in a bay for several months.

1 Like

The cost of the duct engineering and then installation is about $10K? $12K? (not including running the dedicated power). I’m guessing that would be incurred for each installation location. That cost might figure into Woodshop’s decision.

1 Like

We have to get ‘duct engineering’ done?

I’d hate to see so much money sitting in storage unused for months and months while new woodshop gets built.

I’m not the expert on this, I’m just citing the package that was put together. But yes - we need duct engineering, which is more complex than it sounds. We bought the system with automatic start features also.

I just want to understand if this is a true requirement (fire code, for example), rather than a ‘yeah but we really should’. There’s a guy (http://thedovetailjoint.squarespace.com/storage/Dust%20collection%20write%20up.pdf) that runs one of these in his garage. I don’t think this is outside the realm of a ‘makerspace’ installation. I’d hate to see it sitting in storage because we think we need to spend tons of money on installation when we could’ve done it ourselves.

I wouldn’t skimp on the engineering component of the installation. I installed the smaller RL160 in my shop and should have paid for the engineering. It’s just a one man shop so not comparable but I need to rip out my main duct line and install larger. I went with the more expensive Norfab clamp fit pipe so it was not a cheap mistake. I love the system though and have never had a shop as dust free as I do now with this system. Very easy to empty the collector as compared to when I was at the makerspace.

3 Likes

It might be good in general, but spending tons of money on an outside engineering firm is not a good plan for the current woodshop space.

If we can install it now and cheaply, that’s the best method. We can revisit it when woodshop moves and it’s in a more permanent location. Again, don’t want to see it sit unused for months.

Here we go again.

Fair enough. Woodshop probably has plans already and none of us here are going to do much good.

1 Like

I don’t know that woodshop does. Merely pointing out that it’s been tossed about for a long time. The current dust collection system is the product of no design, DIY work. The cute calculators you find online are no substitute for an expert.

They don’t get the same results, we can agree on that. But we’re letting what’s perfect be the enemy of the good here. Anything we can do to use it now is an improvement over the current system. The cheaper the better. We can always go all in for the rubber stamp of approval when it gets moved into the new shop.

I’m not saying we should never pay someone to layout the system.

I think this is the real point to focus on. Otherwise it’s likely to be sitting and taking up space unused for 6 months to a year.

I moved the 4 pallets of stuff over to the 102 warehouse, and @yashsedai and I moved the main box on wheels to the corner where VECTOR used to be. I don’t think the plastic wheels would survive moving it over to 102.

8 Likes

Stan is the man!

3 Likes