Feasibility on the HAAS

I’ve been planning a personal item for the Haas, and am wondering if I could get some feedback on feasbility. I already know it can’t do things like the side hole for the bolt and associated chamfer (I’m just going to index and drill it on the bridgeport when it gets time for that)

The item is a hasp for using a Puck lock with chain, either in free hanging or mounted styles. The prototype will be typical Cold steel to test it, then move onto Stainless after I’ve made any associated tweaks. Cut from a piece of prepared round stock.

Fusion 360 design: https://a360.co/3dytVt6

What cutters do people think are best for this? I think I could rough most of it with a 1/2" then do the chain wells with a 1/4" (they’re 3/8" wide so room for a finishing pass). The square holes I know will have rounded corners and I’ll have to file them out.

Cheers,
-Jim

P.S: Here’s what I keyed the design off: https://securitysnobs.com/Stanton-Concepts-OMNI-LINK-Chain-Puck-Padlock-Hasp.html
They’re on near constant backorder and I’ve never been able to get a date for them getting more, so figure I should try my hand at making some

1 Like

That makes me wonder if the HAAS is rigid enough to do broaching. I bet it is, but I’m not going to be the one to test it lol.

My only bit of advice for machine your part is make really sure your retract and clearance heights are reasonable in your CAM because it would be tragic to mill right through one of those tabs.

not the broaching I wanted to see, but…

This was what I was wanting, but on a HAAS like ours, which I think this is not…

You’ve now made me curious

yeah it’s going to make things slower, but it’s the tradeoff for having the lock body completely enclosed.

The 20T manual arbor press could be used to broach it. The bottom doesn’t look that thick and if just taking out the corners not a big deal.

Is this possible to make on the HAAS, absolutely. Do we have the tooling to do it? I don’t know.

The over 2 inch depth of cut of on this part will require some really long end mills. This part is a 3 operation part as well, so that will definitely create some more fixturing challenges.

1 Like

I recall we have long 1/2"; I’d have to see what we have in other ones. It may be that the smaller aspects on the deep ends such as the carriage bolt squares be done on a flip operation.

With the exception of the potential case of flipping to do the deeper areas of the bolt pattern, what’s the 3rd fixture? Right now I have a second fixture just for the keyway slot since it’s at 90 degrees from the chain slots however even then on parallels that may be doable since it’s got a little over 3/8" meat on that keyway slot due to the chain thickness

op 1:

This is to allow access to the square cuts with small diamiter end mills with minimal sickout.

op 2:

Major material removal

op 3:

Final hole drilling. This could be done manually on the Bridgeport

ah, you were including that hole at the end; as stated I planned on just doing that on the bridgeport.

I actually have two fixtures planned for what you have as one; since it’s a prepared stock of a round object to ensure I have adequate clamping I’ll need to be using some V blocks or something so I won’t be able to do all three slots at once unless I get very creative with clearances and rotational offsets from the vise. However if I do have a smaller tool do the back square holes first, and if I finish drilling those out, it’s possible them to fixture it with it’s own mounting holes as long as there is enough clearance above the screwheads in their recessed slots.

I would probably make soft jaws to hold the part for op 2.

I should also mention I that I would turn the OD of your stock down on the lathe first. As you want to be sure it is truly round and on spec as raw extruded round stock can be a little off.

Yeah like I said it’s prepared stock.

Making soft jaws for it is on the table

Back in school we would just clamp a three jaw chuck on the table when we had to work with round stock in that orientation.

I would recommend drilling out the majority of the square holes from the top and broaching/filing the rest later. Removes an operation and the associated clocking requirement to get everything to line up.

1 Like

Too bulky? https://www.homedepot.com/p/PACLOCK-High-Security-5-16-in-Chain-Locking-System-Keyed-Different-UCS-Every-Lock-One-Key-Buy-American-Act-Compliant-UCS-6A/308681105?

so whilst it’s nice to know that’s there, the design isn’t suitable for what’s required (on top of the fact the design I’m using can be used with almost any puck lock, versus a proprietary puck)

first that’s an aluminum lock body; might even cut faster than the chain depending on the method used. Since it’s got that seam exposed with the four thin locking posts it’s just asking for a lateral cut right above the chain points moving across.
second, the bolt pattern on it’s mounting plate are exposed; those heads grind off a lot faster than much of the chain we’d be using (poly wrapped 3/8" square cross-section chain actually takes effort to cut versus grinding out .125" worth of bolt head). That’s fine and dandy when it’s so you just don’t lose the lock and the chain can wrap around things, but what if the lock is attached to the item of value and the chain going to whatever secures it? As an example, I’ve used this hasp design for tool boxes and equipment cases where the chain goes around a pillar at conventions or hotel rooms.

Ideally, in a puck locks setup you have as much meat in front of the interesting bits as you can and keep things flush.

I do, however, like that this idea has more commercial options now. Whilst not suitable for the purpose I’m making this part, that would make a lot of peoples’ days easier for less critical things. I’d have to see what tab they’re using on their IC cores, because it may open the door for using a higher security cylinder like a Protec, EVVA, or Desmo

1 Like

Hey Jim can there be flat spots on the outer diameter in the regions indicated?
I would just cut small flat spots there for the vice to clamp on, seat the part high on parallels, and then it’s a single setup in Haas, single Bridgeport setup for the 90deg hole, just need extended reach tooling. The larger the flats cut, the more aggressive you can run the tooling.

That’s definitely doable since there is enough meat down there. I have the steel on order, so I’m planning out the CAM requirements currently and doing a refresher on the controls. @malcolmputer @procterc either of you available for some Haas time in the near future for a personal project?

EDIT: @LAndras I put in the flats; I’d have to machine those on separately when I prepare the stock but it isn’t the end of the world. Think 3/8x~1.75 will be adequate?

Yeah that should work. Just clamp in the Bridgeport with a vblock, cut the flats, then on to the Haas.
I need to put something together for my own skill tune-up on the Haas now that we’re back open.

Having made the side walls shorter, I can get a functional prototype for the design with existing tooling (albeit slightly tighter chain constraints).

Once I validate the rest of the design and move on to the stainless versions, I can pick up tooling for the deeper operations.

1 Like

Cool idea!