Fast Fourier Transform for the Working Maker

*FOX Sports Music*

Joe Buck: Hello everyone and welcome to Fox’s coverage on a class happening at Dallas Makerspace on March 25th. I’m Joe Buck and with me here, as always, is Troy Aikman. It’s a rainy Thursday afternoon here in Dallas and what goes better with rain than some Uncle Ted’s galv stripper? Welders run on galv.

Troy Aikman: That’s right, Joe. Everytime I go into DMS’s metal shop, I make sure to wear a welding mask that only covers my eyes so I can get that fresh sulfuric smell. It reminds me of grandma’s egg storage container on the farm. And if I decide to strip the galv in order to go for that rustic aesthetic, there’s nothing more satisfying than when I dump it into the back parking lot and look at all of the pretty colors forming in the rain puddles. Sometimes I like to bring my great grandkids in and have them play around in the puddles with their hands to make extra cool looking swirls. Some woke hippies say that its dangerous, but I’ve been doing this since I was kid and my brain is more gooder than its ever been, Joe.

Joe Buck: Umm, okay… Dallas Makerspace’s signal processing content over the past few years has been laughable, Troy. Can you see them picking up this incredibly missed opportunity anytime soon?

Troy Aikman: Many analysts have been wondering the same thing, Joe. Dallas Makerspace is so autistic that many committees have started implementing thinly-veiled affirmative action office hour programs for non-autistic normies to be able to catch up with the rest of us. One of the newest unwritten rules to help smooth out the transition is that longtime DMS members are only allowed to talk about software development, proper measurement protocols for machining/woodshop, and exotic glass shaping techniques for at most 45 minutes, instead of the usual 4 hours. The membership has been devastated by this rule change, Joe. Given the current context, you’d think everyone would be jumping at the chance to learn about recursive and repetitive processing algorithms that properly organize wide varieties of chaotic information into a very clean and pleasing formats.

Joe Buck: Well I would watch what you say, Troy. It’s not the 90s anymore; you need to be less ignorant. You can’t just call people autistic for being tech or crafting enthusiasts who are deeply interested in extremely niche specific subjects and talk about them endlessly without any solicitation. And autistic people aren’t automatically into mathematics or stacking/sorting things. It’s a very diverse and wide community of people with varying interests, personalities, and struggles.

Troy Aikman: Whatever, snowflake. Anyways, one of these “enthusiasts”, a man by the name of Kevin Thompson, posted a new class on the Fast Fourier Transform for the Working Maker. It’s not going to be theory-focused; it’s going to be maker-focused. The idea is for you to be able to understand enough about this important part of computer science to incorporate in your projects, whether it be robotics, communications, engineering, predictive maintenance, or time series data analysis. There will be in-class activities and examples to help reinforce the content, Joe.

Joe Buck: Wow, that sounds amazing, Troy. I can’t wait to see what he has in store. Are there any spots left?

Troy Aikman: As of this exact moment, there are only two remaining spots. DMS only has only six computers in its computer lab.

Joe Buck: Hold on, Troy. We’re getting some breaking news. We’ve just been notified that those who are unable to make it in person due to class size restraints or some other issue will be able to sign into a google meetup and attend the class.

Troy Aikman: That’s phenomenal news, Joe. But, for the best experience, people should really try to show up in person. There’s only so much Kevin can do over the internet, even though he is how he is.

Joe Buck: I couldn’t agree more, Troy. If you are interested in going to a Fast Fourier Transform tutorial for Makers on the 25th of March from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM, then sign up for it now at calendar.dallasmakerspace.org

Troy Aikman: Don’t go anywhere. We’ll be right back after a message from our sponsors.

4 Likes

first thing, who is Joe Buck and Troy Aikman… Science is the best committee?..

also the computer lab is sponsored by the not so popular Digital Media committee… so - if you need anything let “us” know.

P.S. i know football. Go anyone but the Cowboys! :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, that is correct. Science is the best committee. Anyone who doesnt think their committee is the best committee with the most interesting contributions probably shouldn’t be volunteering for that committee (as a core volunteer at the very least). And don’t worry, I have desktop admin access for all of the computer lab computers so I should be fine. Just need to hope FFTW doesn’t do anything weird on Windows.

1 Like