Farm Classes need?

Still trying to figure out how forum goes so if this is in wrong one please let me know. So several people at DMS have told me that I should teach some farm classes. I don’t have an issue with teaching as I used to be an instructor at a local county Homeland Security. But what farm classes would be sought by members as I can’t see a link between farming and what the DMS is? Please let me know if there is a want or need for this subject. I am a small farmer(not one of the huge monocroppers ) and do farm a variety of animals and techniques, such as rotational grazing.

1 Like

I think that would be pretty cool. Not sure on where we could host this, but I would be interested.

1 Like

Good idea!

I have had a small farm for some time now. I shouldn’t call myself a farmer but I’ve learned a lot and would love to learn more an occasionally chime in. If we ever needed a test area I would gladly volunteer some land as I pretty much break even on what I do there. But it’s in Mt. Vernon, about 90 minutes away.

As they say, I lose money on each cow but make up for it on volume! (doing the math, I need as many negative cows as possible)

If you have worked cattle then you are a farmer. I have worked both beef and dairy cattle in the past and they are a pain. I am a part time farmer (work full time in plano) but working with a Veteran program (Battleground to breaking ground) to help me transition to full time farming. The issue I see, like you, I am out in Commerce so a bit away from the DMS area. I don’t mind hosting at our farm as we have done many times before at our old leased farm for cub scouts and other classes.

1 Like

Only way in a non classroom setting would be at a farm. Possibly teach in a classroom but would not have the hands on part.

I wonder if we have space for a vertical farm…

1 Like

That I would love to see. Have not gotten into Aquaponics or hydroponics yet, but have researched a bit on the subject and eventually want to try myself.

A Dandy place, I dare say.

Science had an aquaponics set up a while back. Fish, horticultural LEDs, etc. Might contact them for any details. I’ve read articles on vertical farming using hydroponics and LED lighting. Interesting. Seems like incredible turn around time on some of the things grown.

1 Like

I have played with aquaponics and hydroponics. We have had a few threads on that an a rough AP system at DMS a few years ago. Without rehashing all those threads, however, I have to say I am still fascinated with the concept of putting together a large HP system at the ranch as I am seeing reports of great results by others doing large scale HP.

What I have learned about AP / HP is that you had better first become an expert at HP. Then if you survive that, you may add the aquaculture part. You can provide the nutrients without the aquaculture. The aquaculture part is indeed really cool and something to be attained but first get the HP working then ease into the fish as you can do it incrementally. It all takes a ton of dedication to the project but I think it can be worth it.

You can use waste from other animals as well for your HP. I have seen suggestions of chicken coops over ponds to capture the nitrogen waste --> HP system.

It can take a lot of HP to fully process all the nitrogen waste from your aquaculture. I did the math one time and figured I would need my entire Dallas residential lot (sans house) covered with HP to eat up the nitrogen from a modest size swimming pool half full of fish.

1 Like

I have a black thumb but several years ago I got interested in learning
more about where my food comes from and not all the fear mongering
crap about chemikillz and GMOs I am in several farming groups on FB
and I host one group there that designed to get urban folks like me
connected to farmers and vice verse

I would be be very interested in the science of modern farming

Can I get the name of the group you host? I would love to talk to more urban folks. I have said for years to know your farmer. And even as a farmer, u know my farmers. For example I get raw milk from the farmer next door. I know that farming family very well and know the wifes milking practices and how well she keeps the milk clean.

I know the owner (he’s one of the vendors at the Rockwall Farmers Market) of the largest aquaponics setup for north Texas. He’s out near Tyler. One day I am going to see his setup and learn from that.

1 Like

My group on FaceBook is Range to Range

It should be fairly straight forward (with tongue in cheek and in purely millennial fashion):
Where do eggs come from?
The grocery store.
Where does milk come from?
The grocery store.
Where does fruit come from?
The grocery store.
Where does coffee come from?
7-11 or Starbucks.
Where does bacon come from?
Bacon is a gift from God.

Any question? Did I leave anything out?

4 Likes

Might be from your local FFA in a few weeks.

2 Likes

mmmm-bacon

nice looking hog looks tasty

LOL. Love the topics. You don’t know how many people don’t really understand where our food comes from and really think they are produced in the store in that plastic wrap. They are disgusted when they find out that I process some of my own food. They ask me why I am not more humane and just buy my food from the store??? For example my niece came down from up north and visited us when we had cattle. We had to explain to her that these were beef cattle and we did not have to kill them for their milk. (and her parents are very intelligent. My BIL is a full bird Col about to be a General and has a PHD) And I see and have to laugh when I see “veggie raised pork” Pigs are Omnivores so they eat both meat and greens.

2 Likes

One of the farmers I follow is Meghan Brown from Cal, 5 gen cattle rancher and she also raises heritage hogs. Last year her hogs got the remains of the deer she shot

1 Like