Exterior Flood Lights & Home Security System

My house was built (~25 years ago) with an ADT security system that, AFAIK, has never been used, i.e. subscribed to via ADT or used for any monitoring (incl original owner). I am not interested in using this system at this time.

Also, there are 4 floodlight receptacles outside, only in my front garden beds (see pic below) which may have had bulbs in them at some point, but have been empty and unused for ~15+ years. I believe they are controlled/activated by the ADT security system, but not 100% sure (since as noted I’ve never had system tuned on). If there is a separate switch for these lights somewhere in the house, I have no idea where it would be; it’s definitely not up by front door area(s), which is only place it would make logical sense.

They are an eyesore and I want to do something with them…either fix them or completely remove.

To fix them, I understand I can check wiring and if OK, replace the receptacle with new ones and put in some appropriate floodlight bulbs. Main question is if I do this, how might I then turn them on without needing to hook-up/power/activate the security system. I’ll call ADT tech support in a bit, but think I’ll be lucky tol get much helpful info from them…

–

(As a side note, I can’t understand why a security system would only have floodlights in front…If I was breaking in somewhere I’d do it from the alley or back entrances which are typically less observable & sure veiled.)

FWIW, my guess would be that security lights would be on the eaves and that these are purely architectural. It’s likely these are/were on a light sensor or simply an internal switch. They are likely on a ground fault circuit, and depending on the size of the house may be on a bathroom outlet circuit. This was frequently done as an economy measure when GFI was new and far more expensive.

1 Like

wonder if these are connected…

2 Likes

I tend to agree, at least with the logic. But as far as I know, there is no sensor or separate light switch for these…certainly nowhere noticeable/logical, e.g. I don’t use it, but I am well aware of where the rain sensor for my sprinkler system is.

Yep…almost have to be. Which gives me an idea as to where a switch for these might be, even if remote/dumb, since I only have three GFCI outlet (red/black button) outlets in the house/garage. I hope it is safe to screw a bulb in one of these things to test it…[kabloom!]

lol…nope. But my house certainly has “a history” of weird stuff going on.

There may be GFCI breakers in your panel as well.

If these are on an outlet, it’s probably the garage outlet.

If they are on a GFCI, they are almost certainly turned off otherwise the GFCI would have tripped. No harm in screwing a flood into them though. I’d clean them all out and put bulbs in them. If you don’t you are almost certain to trip the GFCI with the ones you haven’t cleaned out when you try switches.

Excellent catch. I’d completely forgotten this.