Extending power seat motor cable

Could i extend the flexible cable by cutting it in the middle and weld the the length needed? Or is there another frugal way to accomplish this? I dont have the money to buy one that would fit at the moment. Id need to do this to two cables on each side of the motor. If your wondering why the cables dont fit anymore, I got a bench seat out of a old dodge van and swapped it for my bucket seats. there is a hump in the middle of the cabin because of the transmission which moves the motor for the seat 2-3 inches higher.

I am of the opinion that your flexible cables are probably a 2-part construction that lets them flex. And since it’s a motor cable, you’d be grounding the cable at the part where you welded it. Maybe tromp through a Pick Your Parts place?

Cut the cables and solder the inside part? Then use electrical tape to insulate the charge-bearing part, and use some duct tape or gorilla tape to fix the exterior in place.

FWIW – I’m not familiar with the cables you’re speaking of. This is just my SWAG.

Big question here, what kind of cable? Electrical cable, Steel cable?

2 Likes

I believe its steel. It turns the gears to lean back

If there’s a motor, then that’s probably an electric cable.

it is connected to a motor but it spins the cable to then turn the gears

Typically those use 12VDC motors attached to a 90 degree drive at one end, (high torque) worm drive is typical as the cable feeds through the drive end.

Most if not all electric sunroof/ moonroof - moving roof panels use a similar drive motor with one or more cables in the track / sheath, and many seats as well.

I doubt you will be able to ‘weld’ the steel ends back together and have them stay intact. Perhaps use a tube type sleeve with screws that hold the cable ends in the tube (this of course depends on how much free space along the cable you have to work with. Similar to the pic here.

1 Like