Explorations in AI Enabled Artwork

I’ve been exploring AI enabled artwork lately. The tools can work with text prompts and/or image prompts. These were created using only text prompts.

These below were created using both image and text prompt. For these I used iconic images from World War II (thinking about the enormous cost of war to humanity and wanted to convey that).

If this is something that interests you I suggest you tinker with it. It’s based on many years of research and prior work but all repurposed for creating art. It can be used to create images on any subject in any style. It can also create animation but I haven’t gotten that far yet.

14 Likes

Thank you for posting this. It looks very interesting.

1 Like

Truly amazing. A little scary to think what the world between your ears might be, tho!
RESPECT for the cost of war images.

3 Likes

Absolutely beautiful. One day I was sucked into artaigallery.com which is procedurally generated art like these that you can buy prints of.

Just amazing what AI can do these days… Gonna put a bunch of creatives out of business… or at least reduce their market value; unless the artists embrace the tech and develop symbiosis with it, that is. That’s what I’m planning to do. Merge with the machine! With all the metal in my body, I’m partially cyborg anyway. Not that far to go… [Voice of the Terminator] :: “Come with me if you want to live.” :wink:

DD

@artg_dms this is what we were talking about after the meeting the other day.

This is one of the many branches of AI imaging. Looks like this runs on Google’s Colab in the cloud - so you’re home hrdwr isn’t critical (?).
Nvidia has a lot of info and pgms such as Stylegan (github)

Wonder if Stylegan2-ada can be loaded / run in Colab.
Might be a better option than turning one’s desktop into a 400+ W space heater that runs for days / weeks while training. :grimacing:
More interesting links
https://deepdreamgenerator.com/

There are some forks of Disco Diffusion that are easier to run local but it can run local with enough effort. I have this fork setup locally using CPU only (no Nvidia GPU at home).

Google Colab is a great way to get introduced to the tool without having to do a ton of legwork to get it to run locally. The downside to Google Colab is all the GPU are like 5+ years old. I think the newer GPU are charged by the hour instead of a monthly fee like Colab is. I guess they’re squeezing every last dollar out of the old hardware.

I was sitting at home during Christmas break and I used an app to generate AI work - I put it up on Society6 and had AI design the names and also descriptions of the pieces. I haven’t sold a single one nor do I think I ever will nor do I care about that. Your pieces are much more interesting and likely had more fertile words to begin with - my words to begin with were also AI generated.

2 Likes

This would be a super cool class I would def take.

1 Like

Interesting. What kind of crunch time did each pict take?

Hopefully GPU prices will start going down.
Nvidia announced new cards - H100
Saw something about the 25% tariffs have been rescinded.
Intel releasing GPU chips / cards and crypto mining chips.

1 Like

The images I posted above were all on Google Colab and took 2-3 hours for each image. That doesn’t include the many attempts that didn’t work right. :slight_smile:

On a CPU it’s quite a bit slower. In my case like 20 times slower. I think Google Colab was using a Tesla P100 GPU and my CPU is a Ryzen 5950X. The advantage of using the CPU is it has access to a lot more memory than a GPU. The resolution of the images I posted was limited by GPU RAM.

Here’s a 4K image that took like 100 hours to compute on CPU. Couldn’t do the same on a GPU since it used around 110GB of RAM.

2 Likes

I’ve got a 3090, so 24GB of VRAM, if y’all have anything you want me to try throwing at it. :grin:

1 Like

Video on GPU and memory - application is Stylegan2.

When I saw 1024 x 1024 labeled as high res, I chuckled…and then reconsidered.

Some more interesting links.
Website generates images -

StyleGAN3 on Google Colab

GANshare