Expired hand sanitizer

Dumb guy science question here.
I came across an old half-empty 2L jug of hand sanitizer that expired in 2011 (I know, I know).
My understanding from reading the interwebs is that the effectiveness is reduced due to evaporation of the active ingredient (ethyl alcohol 62%, according to the label).

Question: Could I “reconstitute” the remaining ~1L by adding isopropyl alchohol to the remaining content? If so, should I? Just trying to salvage the content and avoid the elevated price of replacement, if feasible.

I tried to google, but was presented approximately 847563784957 versions of the same article warning me that hand sanitizer has an expiration date <gasp!>…

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

OK, here’s my non-scientific answer.

Since there are articles telling how to make your own DIY hand sanitizer by combining iso alcohol to aloe vera gel, I don’t see that what you’re proposing is any different.

I didn’t run the math on how much to add so that you end up with the 60% alcohol content that the CDC recommends. That would depend on the concentration of the iso alcohol that you’re adding.

5 Likes

I definitely agree with all of this. I would just recommend that this is hand sanitizer you use for yourself, probably don’t try and donate it to a business or a hospital or something

Absolutely intending for personal household usage. Thanks!

1 Like