Expert Help Needed Integrating ODrive with Custom Robotics Platform

Hello everyone :sunglasses:,

I’m neck-deep in building a one-of-a-kind robotics platform, and I’m setting my sights on ODrive to level up its motor control game. That’s where the rubber meets the road for precise path planning and dodging rogue obstacles.

Here’s the gist of my project:

Mission: Supercharge the motor control for smooth, precise pathing and obstacle avoidance.
Current Setup: A custom-built robotics platform that demands real-time motor adjustments and feedback loops.
Roadblocks:
Configuration Chaos: Wrangling ODrive to talk seamlessly with my homemade software feels like wrangling a greased weasel.
Sync Struggles: Real-time feedback and keeping ODrive in perfect harmony with the platform’s navigation system is proving tricky.
Compatibility Conundrum: Making sure ODrive’s communication protocols play nice with my system’s architecture.

I have been digging into the GitHub - sutd-robotics/SUTDoggo: An adaptation of the Stanford Doggo Project for sutd soar prompt engineer skills project for inspiration, but it has not quite cracked the code on my specific hurdles.

Calling All Robotics and ODrive Gurus!

Your wisdom is worth its weight in gold! Here’s what I’m craving:

• Integration Insights: Share your best practices for configuring ODrive with custom software.
  • Communication Champions: Got tips for managing real-time data exchange and keeping everything in perfect sync? :thinking:
  • Pitfall Protectors: What common challenges have you faced with ODrive integrations, and how did you conquer them? :thinking:

If you’ve tackled similar integrations or have a mastery of robotics and motor control, your guidance would be a game-changer. I’m eager to learn from your experiences and use your insights to propel my project forward.

Sounds like a very interesting project! One suggestion is to attend a weekly robotics online meeting of the Dallas Personal Robotics Group (DPRG) held each Tuesday night.

AustinTronics may have some tips as well:

@Doug
@raydms

Also might look into -
Dallas Personal Robotics Group In-Person Gathering
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/21473