Ever notice? :blankspace:

Have you ever noticed that the more certain you are that you have measured everything you need, and put your metric dial calipers back in their case, the sooner you realize that you need to measure something else to move your model forward?

(Yes, I keep both moonwalker, and rest of the world dial calipers sitting on top of my printer enclosure)

2 Likes

I’d throw away the case for the NMW caliper, it clearly is causing problems later on.

2 Likes

Just how metric is the metric system anyway.

Not very, I say.

There are very few universal constants, among them

• the speed of light in a perfect vacuum
  • the masses of a proton, neutron, electron
  • 0 degrees Kelvin

A society with other than ten fingers may likely find our metric system totally nonsensical.

Something like this https://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/weather-connection/weather-quiz-how-fast-does-the-earth-rotate/2538948/ makes moonwalking units appear rational.

I recall that when the Metric system was first used in commerce at the turn of the 19th century, its lack of natural divisions was widely derided. In a pre-digital era lacking ubiquitous calculators, this would be a natural complaint.

I like the thought exercise of asking two groups of people how heavy it’d be if they filled the bed of their truck with water - USA folks with inches and pounds and no relation between the two, versus Metric folks with centimeters, and the mass of a volume of water measurable with a ruler.

No measurement system is perfect but Metric makes more sense especially for back-of-the-envelope calculations.

Now excuse me I need to run down to the big-box store for a couple of 2x4s which are neither 2 nor 4.

2 Likes

You have to convert to number of human heads first (which weighs eight pounds).

1 Like

The moral of the story: pickup trucks are nose heavy and many are rear wheel drive. To gain additional traction during icy conditions, shovel snow into the bed. When the weight is no longer needed, it automagically disappears.

1 Like

I’ve done that many times, though more often with the old Ford Ranger. The F150 super crew is not nearly as light in the rear axle. But a couple hundred extra lbs does help.

1 Like

Growing up in the mid-west, my best friend had a 68 Mustang GT Convertible. He used to put firewood in the trunk of the car for extra traction and still had to go in reverse up the steeper hills :slight_smile:

I’ve seen paving stone patios grow slowly. Take all the cars to the home center each fall, and buy/load a couple paving stones into each trunk. Then, in the spring, install them on the patio.

1 Like

How about car tires? World wide Rim size is standardized in inches and rest of the numbers are now metric (except pressure which is in both psi and kilonetwonpascalfaraday ohms or something like that).

Would love to have speedometer that shows velocity as a fraction of C (60 mph = 8.94699e-008) and the digital clock showing relativistic adjustment based on speed.

2 Likes

Furlongs per fortnight is the superior expression of velocity. For reference, C = 1.8026 megafurlongs per microfortnight.

4 Likes

Ah, the Maynard System…

1 Like

Henry Ford had a better idea. My 1931 Ford Model A Roadster that I have has all SAE bolts except for the carburetor. It has metric hardware since the carburetors were made in France. Henry Ford sold these cars with an included set of SAE wrenches and a set of pliers. As a result the mounting bolts for the carburetor and fuel lines were always rounded off, no wrench would fit except for the set of pliers. So, American made cars going back to 1928 had both SAE and Metric hardware.

When I first started wrenching on bicycles there were at least 3, maybe 4, threading “standards” in play. My first paying job was at a shop in Houston. The mass-produced bikes we sold were all metric threaded but some older customer bikes had the odd Italian or French threaded bits. It made digging in the spare parts bins fun.

To be fair they were before they cut some more off of them

1 Like