ETA on Form 2 repair

sorry I looked around and I found the thread on the the problem that forced the form 2 to have to go back to be repaired but I don’t see any notes or anything when it’s going to be back

2 Likes

@Team_3D_Fab

Edit: I see was mentioned 18 days ago maybe 3 weeks. Any word @engpin

3 Likes

Any word on ETA @engpin @Team_3D_Fab @maxk68 @axeonos

They found other problems with it that needs to be fixed good news is they are not charging us more. Also the committee voted to buy another sla. Formlabs is working to see if they can give us a deal for how long it has taken them to fix ours. I will ordering the new one this week. I know have one person to call which is great. Sorry for how long it as taken to get fixed and back

8 Likes

Thanks thats great news, i have a senior design project and we are testing the viablity of SLA printing clear fresnel lens. first one is due this week and its a nightmare to use the one at the college, paperwork etc. hopefully its back in the next few weeks so it won’t be such a nightmare.

are you going to be ordering another Form or a cheaper DLP printer?

We where give the ok for a new formlabs

2 Likes

I prefer getting another FormLabs for the simple reason that lessens the opportunity for someone using the wrong resin, tank or whatever and breaking the printer again.

5 Likes

we are going with formlabs

2 Likes

Back to the original intent of this thread, what is the ETA on the Form 2 repair?

To be clear, I believe the intent of the thread was to obtain a date for when the repair would be completed. Thanks.

I think (but am not sure) they’re talking about exchanging the in-repair printer for a new one. In that case, it would be sooner than later.

Also, I am glad they are going with another SLA. DLP just isn’t the same, although slightly faster.

you’ve used both of those terms wrong.

SLA (stereolithography) is applicable to any resin printer using light for 3D patterning.

DLP (digital light processing) is a Texas Instrument trademark term for MEMS micromirror arrays, used in some digital projectors and many early DIY resin printer builds. It has been misappropriated by manufacturers of LCD-based resin printers like the Wanhao D7, Anycubic Photon, etc.

This has been today’s episode of Unwelcome Education.

We voted to purchase a second Form 2, so at the end of all this we’ll have two of them available. At this point it’s anyone’s guess which one arrives first.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll put that next to the dossier for Kleenex and Febreze and other genericide closed cases.

thank you, looking forward to using it for lost wax casting project. <3

2 Likes

Amazon can have one delivered (from Formlabs) by March 6, 2019.

1 Like

that is far more expensive than we would pay as a nonprofit makerspace for this printer. heck, it would be cheaper to get 2 day shipping directly from their website.

2 Likes

Given this information I’m calculating an ETA of February 20, 2019.

I think that we should talk about figuring out a system to make sure only people who are proficient in the hardware/software of this machine are the ones using it. I feel like after the class is taken, you are just kinda sent out on your own without any real proof in your ability to use it competently. This would help to mitigate further damage to the printers.

Maybe a system like the CNC router? That might help. A qualification class where you design something and show it to an instructor

1 Like