Equipment for electronics lab

Sorry folks for delayed response. Out on vacation.

My $0.02 about having a virtual instrumentation solution would be the following:

GPIB is a standard, and any device would work. USB GPIB devices are very nice. There are also ethernet devices that can be connected to from any PC, and are also very nice. There are PCI devices which would suit our purposes IMO, even ISA devices. The GPIB bus can control many devices as the bus can be daisy chained (more devices than we would probably ever have a need to control simultaneously). So if we can put our hands on any GPIB device, we can make it work. We will need GPIB cables, though.

As for a machine, I recommend a Win 7 or later system, 250GB HD or more, and lots of screen geometry. There are lots of plotting options and the choicest programming environment is a graphical programming language, so its best to provide a large amount of pixels to work with. I would choose a high res display OR two lower res displays if I got everything I wanted in such a system. Also, NI softtware products tend to be resource hogs so its good to have healthy RAM, 4GB+ ideal.

Again, apologies for being out of pocket, but I like the enthusiasm, and hope we are able to advance tool capabilities of the Space harnessing the power of the PC and easily customizable high level programming.

Hope this helpsā€¦

Fully agree it needs to be a decent PC.
Have you had a chance to give NI a call for pricing?

Robert

So I know I have been a bit laggy in responding, but I am still working with NI to form the best relationship possible for the best benefit of the Space. As I understand things, NI has lost a local resource and so the current area staff are swamped. But they have expressed interest. I have a face-to-face meeting with NI experts in one week, and I expect that this relationship can grow, but may grow slowly over time.

Soooo, I think the best thing for us to do right now is press forward with the resources that we have right now. A PC with LabVIEW is a wonderful start. The software is not cheap however, and I am not sure all the licensing requirements for student versions and such. I will inquire further about how to get started with LabVIEW when I talk to the NI staff and experts next week. And yes, Tron, a USB GPIB interface is IMO one of the best kind to use. I think we could do an awful lot of damage with just that.

Has anyone setup LabVIEW in the new E-Lab?

1 Like

Thereā€™s some version of LabView on the ELab pc. Came w/ Virtual Bench. PC isnā€™t currently set up and needs a full rebuild / update. Currently not a high priority item.

Semaphore1999 is no longer a member.