English Wrench Inventory & Organization

I was looking for a wrench this morning and had a bit of a time finding what I needed so I dumped them all out and got to counting and sorting.

I found 4 wrenches hanging by the lathe: 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", and 1".

We have a full set of combination wrenches from 1/4" to 1 1/8" that go up by 16ths. And we have a bunch of extras:

Extra Combination Wrenches
1/4 x3
11/32 x3
3/8 x2
1/2 x2
5/8 x4
11/16 x2
3/4 x1
13/16 x1
7/8 x2
15/16 x2

Extra Open End Wrenches
11/16 – 5/8 x1
19/32 – 11/16 x2
5/8 – 3/4 x1
25/32 – 13/16 x1
3/4 – 7/8 x1
15/16 – 1 x1
5/8 – 11/16 x1
5/8 – 3/4 x1

When I dumped it all back into the drawer I tried to do it in as organized manner as possible.

I’m taking my safety / orientation woodshop class this evening and if I make it through will all 10 fingers still intact I might look into throwing something together to make staying organized a little easier.

Ben

8 Likes

Ben,
THANK YOU.
Many of us do this type of work to make DMS function. It speaks volumes about you.
Welcome.
Best,
Jim

4 Likes

Maybe we can get some closed cell foam and cut profiles for the tool in that drawer.

I’d link to do something with sockets as well, but seeing automotive’s travails leaves me pessimistic.

I kinda like the idea of some organizers similar to the Gridfinity that could be 3d printed. I also like the Mantis tool grid, no personal experience with either though.

1 Like

I think that anything that gives everything a place would be a big step in the right direction.

This is pretty cool, too:

We can buy closed cell foam and cut it any number of ways ranging from manually to lasers. Use contact adhesive to glue the layers together. We could also cut and layer acrylic sheet. Lots of possibilities.

I want to make a thing with the cnc machine were I cave the shape of the wench in to it. The question becomes what material would I use.

Depends on the application. Greasy or coolant coated tools need something the coating will not attack I like the close cell foam option. You can lay the tools out on a scanner and process the image to get outlines for CNC-ing.

1 Like

And the cavities need to have enough slack that people can get the tools in and out easily, with some space for fingers. Any cavity that is a tight fit, or a tool that’s completely recessed below the level of the holding material won’t get used.

1 Like

I think you meant to say “won’t get lost”.

On the serious, closed cell foam with 1/16" extra carving around the outline and well placed finger wells will go miles to helping this problem.

3 Likes

Please leave the wrenches that are hanging on the lathe where they are. I assume you did this but just making sure. It’s annoying to have to dig for a wrench to adjust the machine and lock the crossslide

1 Like

Can you cut closed celled foam on the cnc machine / any cnc machine ?

I just took the tour and joined Saturday. On the tour it was mentioned that someone used the vacuum forming machine to mould a tray for wrenches. Put the wrenches in the machine, laid the plastic over the top, moulded to exact shape. Maybe put a little bumper or tape on each handle to create a divot to get your fingers around to pop the tool out.

Yes, or the lasers. One the lasers you cut a panel and glue it to a bottom panel. Bonus if you use two different contrasting colors - missing items really ‘pop.’

I think the advantage of any approach that uses DMS tools is that we can replace, revise and extend it and it’s consistent. If done well, it will probably cross committees.

Yes. John Marlow’s advice about slack is important. You might achieve it with some heavy cloth using the real tools as patterns. You still need to do a mould ot have finger troughs, so it might be best to just do a full pattern on the Shapeoko. We can also use it for drawer dividers and such. All that needs to happen is for someone to do it.

I suspect the closed cell foam and laser will be the lowest overall effort.

I think that Inkscape can both auto-generate an outline from a scan and add margin around the outline. Probably requires a little manual touch up.

I’d like to find a local distributor of cross linked polyurethane foam to play with. It looks like it might be the right answer for a foam option.

I want to try the close cell method. Would I need a dxf of the wrench layout? ( I can do the cad modeling ) I am new to DMs and do not know any about the laser cuttng. Would some be willing to partner with me after I get the layout( or even give input in to layout design)?

Not sure if these guys qualify, or they might be industrial sales only, but Flexible Foams | American Excelsior | Arlington, TX

GPC in Richardson might be an option: Polyurethane Products For Customized Packaging - Dallas TX

1 Like

I’d be interested in learning how to use the vacuum form machin to make a tool tray for the wood shop tool box

1 Like

It seems pretty straightforward.

Wood patterns are common. I suspect you can handle that. :crazy_face:

Captain offers the class pretty regularly.

1 Like