Engine Teardown Class

So while trying to think of some automotive classes, I realized a really neat way to get more familiarity with an engine is to start small.

I’m thinking of hosting a class where we take a small harbor freight engine and do a complete teardown and reassembly. Learning about each part and how they work as we go. These small engines have the benefit of having a countable number of parts (90 total parts), and having all the same components as your cars engine (fuel injection method, air cleaner, muffler, speed control, pistons, etc). It would be a repeatable class, with the engine only being used for class purposes.

I’d like to gauge interest so I can start a potential syllabus.

11 Likes

Bonus points if you can find an OHC engine. I’ll almost certainly pass either way, since these things always get scheduled while I’m at work. But that aside, tearing stuff apart is always fun and usually educational. Would recommend.

1 Like

That would be an awesome class to take. Everything under-the-hood and I don’t get along very well.

1 Like

I think that’s a really interesting idea. I wonder how similar the Chonda motor is in terms of valvetrain and timing to an automotive ICE? I’d bet that I could acquire a good-enough (i.e. not blowed up but not really in great running condition) motor for us for free. That way we could teach the more modern OHC configuration (heck, we could do a Detroit V-8 too if we wanted to show how pushrod valvetrains work too). But I’d be willing to collaborate on something like this. I love engine building, to be honest. It’s a great idea, Luke.

1 Like

Get a used lawn mower - cheaper?

2 Likes

Or gas trimmers. They break all the time

1 Like

I’m interested. Would like to do an automotive engine too. Something simple like a 4

1 Like

I have one that is dead! Go with that and we have one. Problem is two-cycle so no valve train

1 Like

Honestly the real benefit of a nice new clean engine is just that, it’s nice, new and clean :slight_smile: You get to see nice tight clearances, new parts and how things should look lol. I’d like to do this in a quiet classroom instead of a noisy workshop also. Plus the HF engine is $100

Aren’t most lawn motors two stroke?

4 Likes

Most lawnmowers are 4-stroke, but they’re almost exclusively flatheads, and the internal construction is irrelevant to modern cars. For that matter, they’re not even internally similar to old automotive flathead engines. OHV lawnmowers do exist, but good luck finding a ruined one on a curb.

Besides, vertical shaft engines are a pain to demonstrate with. $100 for a HF Honda clone horizontal shaft OHV engine isn’t bad.

2 Likes

I’m in.
qwerty 123456

1 Like

Even a new motor will make a mess. Not a good idea to do it in the classroom. Maybe if you put some counter measures in place for keep the classroom clean like plastic work buckets or trays and such. Previously the race group did this with their engine for anyne interested in the work area with hands on helping.

Would def be interested in class like that.

I would be interested, though if this class is scheduled on fri,sat,sun, I won’t be able to attend.

Another advantage of a new motor for teardown and assy would be that you don’t need to replace parts in the middle of the operation. I have one motor that I need to rebuild (that’s already torn down) and another that could use a teardown and re-assembly, but I’m not sure what I’m going to find in the bottom of the crankcase (which could make for some pretty interesting surprises) but it will likely need at least new rod if not new crank bearings and I’m not sure what clearance I’ll want for those. But that one is a Toyota 4AGE with the 20v head and would be a pretty good example of a modern engine design with an incorporated water pump and oil pump in the timing gear. If I had the replacement bearings on hand I’m fairly certain we could get that torn down and rebuilt in a day in the shop. That would mostly be a demonstration class versus a hands-on class, but I’m pretty sure that’s what you’re thinking of anyway.

This does bring up an interesting issue though, one to keep in mind for if/when DMS moves to a new space: it would be helpful to have a classroom that is conducive to both (a) making and cleaning up a mess like one makes when tearing down and rebuilding an engine and that is (b) separated from the workshop area by demising walls (mainly for noise control) but which is accessible to and from the workshop area. An ideal “messy classroom” would have a slop sink (not for parts cleaning, but hand cleaning – important when rebuilding an engine IMO), shop air, probably a vented exhaust, good 120v power access, and maybe even some sort of heavy display table with a video camera and projector to make display easier for the class attendees. I’m sort of dreaming there.

1 Like

I have a sears lawnmower I can donate - even runs/ ran…

4 stroke

where would you like me to put it Luke?

I have always wanted to be able to build an engine. I am on board for this.

I would love to attend if it is during the week. ( I realize it likely will not be ) Perhaps run a multi-part class on week nights if you have the time.

Honestly I was thinking like a 2-3 hour class on a week night, with a small 1 cylinder, it should be possible for at least the majority of the tear down / build up

1 Like

JOwen,

would such a class on a Monday during the afternoon work for you? (or anyone else?)

2 Likes