Electronics Comm Mtng - Thurs 3/21

Electronics Comm Mtng
Thurs 3/21 7p - 8p
North Lobby Class Rm

Somewhat over due for one of these. We’ll discuss returning the pcb mill to its donor. Updating / replacing the reflow oven - looking for suggestions.

Will be on the Event Cal soon.

Have a conflict and can’t make it.

My opinions on agenda items.

Status of ELab - tools, consumables, etc.

We seem to have lost all of our tiny screwdrivers. The Stanley set is gone, but it’s holder is still in the drawer. We need these for adjustments and taking small stuff apart We need as least one tiny slotted with a long ~3" shaft for adjustments like an Xcelite R3323 and a Phillips in the same general size class.

I’d also like to see use get some slightly larger knives than the few Xactos we have. Something like 9 mm snap blades, and maybe some larger ones like 15-18 mm snap blades or “Stanley” style trapezoidal blade utility knives.

PCB mill - return to donor

I have no interest in retaining this, but there has been some recent interest expressed on talk.

Reflow oven - suggestions

I’m interested in seeing this capability, but I have no suggestions. I don’t know what’s wrong with what we have.

Other

We have a number of scope probes missing ground clips and tip clips. We also have several that are intermittent. I’d like to see some location to drop questionable probes and tag them with a description of the problem. I’ll volunteer to go through them and suggest disposition. I suspect we can mix and match some of the questionable ones and get more working and reliable probes. We probably ought to buy some more.

I also noticed that one of the flip down feet on one of our Rigol scopes is missing. This is pretty a common failure, and we may be able to get repair parts from Rigol, or print something.

or

1 Like

Think we have another set of WiHa drivers. I’ll put them out- see how long they last. Abuse of small tools is rabid in the lab. May be time to make a Harbor Freight run.

I’ll look into the scope probes. I’ve found clip tips and gnd clips on the floor around the benches from time to time. Probably done by the same members that use small screwdrivers as pry bars and wire cutters as bolt cutters. I’ve come across cables and test leads that had intermittent connections. Found which end had the bad connection and cut it off. The rest of the cable / lead might be usable for something.

I’ve encountered the Rigol feet problem. Like the 3d print idea.

The tool box had different cutters at on time - including box cutters. They apparently didn’t like their home… Will look into.

Thanks for the list!

BTW, Machine Shop/PigSig is now allowing PCB milling on the Nomad. Carbide Copper (free to use) will convert Gerber/Excellon files to G-Code for it to use.

An update / clarification in last Sat Machine Shop Mtng. ELab has a small shop vac that’s HEPA rated which will be happily donated to the cause.

@keoliver @jphelps

Yes please ! @artg_dms

How soon do you want it? Send me a PM.