Electronics classes interest--taking the spaces temp

I just wanted to run it up the flagpole to see if there is any interest in a few classes.
Just in case someone wants to become powerful.

I thought I taw a puddytat
spelled (PTAT)
If you have bought any of the commercial products intended to make it easier and faster to get your build going whether arduino,PI, or some other flavor you have undoubtedly noticed somewhere on the board is a 3 terminal voltage regulator like a 7805, lm323 or some such. Maybe even have a double handful of these parts in your stock since they are handy. But they are usually internally temperature and current limited to 1 Amp or less. Learn what is inside these gadgets and you can customize your own regulator for a particular voltage and current to feed your custom thingamajig.
A proportional to absolute temperature reference circuit allows you to create a stable reference voltage. With a stable voltage reference, both linear and switching regulators are within reach.

Build an unregulated AC-DC power supply.
At the heart of the fancier power supplies that offer constant voltage, constant current, foldback current limit or other nifty features is an unregulated supply. Learn to build an unregulated power supply, and you are on your way to building a regulated power supply.

Simple linear regulator circuits.
If you want quick and dirty results, you can often slap a linear regulator together fast.
Since these beasts tend to waste power pretty badly, we will look at estimating heat sink and cooling requirements needed to not let smoke out of your regulators as well.

Simple switchers
Since PC power supplies have been mass produced for years, there are a few switcher ics that can be had for pennies at Tanner’s. With all but a few discretes in the IC, a handful of parts can make an unregulated supply a custom regulated one.

Cheers
Steve

3 Likes