ELab Expansion Move - DONE!

“NO” :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: haha

Okay … what I was thinking of was an Isolated Ground Receptacle. However, looking into it, I’m not sure it applies.

There’s probably someone(s) thinking “Please, oh please stay away from the Elab!”.:rofl::crazy_face:

1 Like

I think you are just afraid of high voltage. You didn’t want 3 phase either.

I’m not doing the work no matter what and I did say electrician. … perhaps you missed it? :wink:

Got yer neon xfrmr right here…

2 Likes

Be wary now … Draco In The elab with the xenon transformer …muuuhahahaha

Hit the record button just before he plugs it in…
Make sure it’s a Thurs nite w/ tour group in sight…

Anyone know where I can get one of those full body conductive suits?

Extension cord out to the back parking lot.
Pick your own gnd.
Not painting a “pretty” picture here.
Just stop…

1 Like

You must be looking at all the holes in the dumpster … snickers

…amongst the “sniper cross hairs” caused by non chemical driven projectiles…

1 Like

If we do this (or even if we don’t?) It’s probably a good idea to label the circuits in the e-lab since that’s where people will be most likely to try dumb stuff with the outlets.

It would be a shame if we had a scope on one leg and a LA on another and there was potential 110 between the two.

2 Likes

That is a very good point but I don’t think it will be possible without a transformer as last I checked there was no common.

Have some concerns about this.
It will be worked out.

1 Like

Some equipment has a “chassis ground” connected to common, and it is not necessarily ancient vacuum tube stuff. There have been cases of modern power adapters having that problem.

We cannot control what members bring in.

OK, I meant neutral instead of common.

Isn’t there 208v potential between the two?

However, I will say that many 120v outlets that we currently use are setup this way. Split off from different legs of 208. Actually all are… I don’t think we have 120v service but only 208v.

You can also get 240v in your house between different outlets if they are on different legs.

Really you are more concerned with having the same Common/Neutral where between those should be close to 0v even in a setup like this.

Of course not, but I would still love it if someone informed me that two 110V plugs right next to each other were different “legs”

There’s a difference between “they should know better” and “we did something silly with the outlets and then didn’t label them and then someone did something totally reasonable and it killed them”

That’s where I’ll have to keep my mouth shut, someone with an engineering license can answer that.

Please do, it would be a great thing to have integrated into the I&M training as well if we do have split legs in there.

1 Like

We have had problems with people setting a “hot” chassis on a grounded anti-static mat.

1 Like

I would then suggest testing whatever outlets you get between the hot’s… if you get a high voltage they are on different legs. The commons/neutrals should always be low. If those are not low, between the two, then you really have something to worry about.

OK, turns out it’s not a problem. What I thought were 208 v 2 ph outlets are 120v 30a outlets that have circular twist lock. @richmeyer has cables that adapt/breakout to 2x duplex outlets. The 3 benches along the west wall now have pwr. Will get enough bench gear out to equip 1 bench and some soldering stations for the other 2 benches… Prefer to wait on getting all the gear out until cameras are installed and recording. There is pwr on the east side, but I want to wait on the build out until the final decision is made by Logistics / BoD on the area between ELab and Science.

8 Likes