ELab Expansion Move - DONE!

The new ELab is starting to take shape.

We will be moving the rest of the ELab on nxt Wed 4/24/19 starting in the afternoon.
The door to the sprinkler closet cannot be blocked - serious code thing.
The 5 and 6 ft benches will need to be disassembled, moved and reassembled.
The Mouser sign and benches will go along the west wall.
We’ll need to figure out how the sign is mounted to wall.
The 2x 6ft benches will go along the east boundary / “tub wall”.
The goal is to get everything moved over and at least 2 benches ready for use.
Exact placement of the “furniture” at this time isn’t important - we’ll be playing “furniture tetris” for a while.
There’s a possibility that the “tub wall” may be moved and replaced w/ wire shelves.
We will not be attaching plywood or running pwr cable on that side just yet.

Edit: The white cabinets just outside the current ELab will be moved at a later date.

15 Likes

Hello,

That looks very exciting! I have a manual labor job, so moving stuff would be kinda fun for me. I also enjoy a good ole game of tetris for what its worth lol.

I could start helping around noon or a little earlier if needed. What times exactly on Wednesday can we start moving stuff?

Thanks,
Nick

1 Like

I’ll be there to help however I can as soon as I get off work.

I plan on being there between 2p - 3p.
Not planning on staying late.
We’ll call what gets done by 10p - 11p good and go from there.
2 person groups to disassemble, move and reassemble the 5 and 6 ft benches.
Will need gray flatbed cart from workshop.

Ok cool, see you around 2pm.

I have access to a large cabinet moving dolly for a limited time only.

I can bring it Wednesday evening only. We can move the large white cabinet with it. Left up both ends of the cabinet, wrap a strap around it, and roll it wherever we want to go.

@artg_dms , what do you think? Let’s move that beast of a cabinet while we have the tools to do it.

1 Like

Wasn’t planning on moving the white cabinets just yet. They need to be emptied and sections taken apart…
There’s also the wiring for the prototype rfid system that needs to be parted out. Think Stan used the DMS 2 wheeler and/or the large gray flatbed cart. He’s offered to help when we’re ready to move them.

Rich’s plan would seem MUCH easier, and would clear the doorway to make the workstation move simpler. Plus it would get us more of a perimeter in the new location.

If the thing is structurally sound enough to move as a unit, might be best to go ahead.

I plan to be there Wednesday evening, but I have to finish up plasma cam training at 1830. Don’t think it will take long.

I can also bring my big heavy duty appliance cart that was used for moving vending machines. It would make moving each cabinet unit much easier.

Part of the problem is we do not have committee area cameras installed.
So its a choice of leaving the perimeter open that is viewed by the cameras around the column outside the area so that they can see into committee area, or simply viewing the entrance that does not directly face any of those cameras. The cabinets are too heavy to move as one unit.

The 5 and 6 ft benches will need to be disassembled and moved.
Everything has to go through 3 doorways on the way over, so I don’t see moving the white cabinets making that much of a difference.

We seem to have an unnecessary chick-egg thing going on with the cameras.

I believe I understood Stan to say they were just waiting on sightlines to install the additional cameras.

Do we not know where the cameras need to go in the new ELab ? I would thing one on the ceiling at the “doorway” at least. That’s a good start.

1 Like

First camera needs to go back somewhere near the sprinkler closet looking out over the committee area.
It’s not dependent on the perimeter setup. Location of the entrance into the area is not firmly fixed.

My suggestion is to move everything into the new ELab now while we have the moving tools and volunteers to do it. Put all the cabinets, tables, and shelves in its place so the true camera sight lines can be determined. We have those 5 roll-around cabinets that each have a lock and key. Lock up the expensive stuff while we wait for the cameras to be installed. Nobody will be working on their personal projects for awhile as we get the new area settled.

2 Likes

Trying to minimize the possible impact to lab users by having 2 benches up and ready to use when we’re done. When the cables are run for the cameras there will a be large/long “service loop” included. Cameras can be installed, then moved/adjusted as needed. Think there are some things that need to happen in both server rooms before committee area cameras are fully up and recording.

4 of the 6 cabinets are full and locked. The 2 Mouser benches and 1x 5 ft bench go along the west wall where access to power is not a problem.

Here’s the current plan - subject to change - for the benches,etc. Note that the white cabinets are right in front of the view line for the column cameras looking into the lab area.

2 Likes

One change - rotate the AR station 90 degrees counter clockwise ( as seen in this view. ) As in operator faces the fire closet. I’m tired of having to sit with my back to the entrance to work that station.

1 Like

We Are Moved!
Many thanks to all who helped.

Moving the white cabinets.

Moved whole unit - saved a lot of time and extra work.
Many thanks to @richmeyer for bringing in the heavy duty dollies.

Trip down memory lane. Remember these?

New ELab! Will start playing Tetris soon!

Where we used to be. Future Digital Media.

11 Likes

Those rol-a-lift units are fantastic. I think we should have a pair in general around DMS.

3 Likes

They will have to do until anti-grav units become available…

2 Likes

Art and I got the first 3 benches are in place tonight with some help from Shawn Christian, but there are electrical issues…

@richmeyer & @mrjimmy - the 2 outlets on the west wall labeled as 25 and working are dead. I put a sticky note in the breaker panel as suggested by Stan.

25 isn’t labeled as west wall in the panel, 27 is, but 25 is what is on the outlets.

3 Likes

Irony of all ironies… the Electronics Committee has no electricity…

4 Likes