Earthen pot question or two

So I bought this pot (pictures below) earlier today because I had been looking for a ceramic pot like a cocoette to be able to make garlic confit, and a few other roasted vegetable ideas that I’ve had.
When I ran across this one, I immediately jumped on it because not only could I do the garlic confit and the other roasted vegetable ideas that I have, I could also do Mizutaki, donburi, bibimbap, ramen and soba among other things.
That being said, I did get a more inexpensive version at first to see how often I used it instead of spending $100 + on one.

Now the question I have for the Ceramics group is:
And the process to make one of these, they would have to be fired in a kiln WELL over any temperature that my oven would ever consider dreaming of getting to so shouldn’t this be oven safe?

I asked because it says flameproof and perfectly fine to use over an open flame, but then it says it’s not oven safe which seems like a complete contradiction to me, especially knowing what (very, very little) I know about the manufacturing process of ceramics.

All of that being said, it makes me wonder if that with the lawsuit happy Society we live in, that was just put on there as a CYA step or if there’s something that I’m not thinking about because of my very limited knowledge in the Ceramics world?

That is kind of weird that they say you can put it on an open flame, but not in an oven. I would be cautious about putting it in an oven. I would only put a room-temperature pot in an room-temperature oven, i.e., don’t preheat the oven, and don’t take the pot out of a refrigerator and put it straight into the oven. Ceramic handles bigger temperature differences before succumbing to thermal shock (vs, say, glass), but it can still be an issue.

I’ve heard that they tried ceramic engines. They ran fine, but splashing road water up onto a hot engine made them crack.

I was thinking the same thing, kind of along the same lines as a baking stone in an oven for pizzas or breads.
It has to be in the oven and warm up with the oven or it will crack pretty quickly.
I would feel that any liquids that I would be cooking in it for soba, ramen or even the water for cooking the vegetables for Japanese Curry would also have to be in there to warm up because you can’t pour a room temperature liquid into a hot ceramic pot like that.

1 Like