DYNO in DFW Area

Hey all, I’ve been doing some work to my car and I would like to get it tuned on a dyno for the most power. Can anyone recommend a good local shop that isn’t going to steal all my money? I have a honda civic and recently upgraded the intake and exhaust…also I have plans of building this motor, probably going to super charge it, put a cam, possibly change pistons and rods. Any help would be appreciated!

I dont know a honda specific shop, but i do have some friends that run ATS racing in Denton. They have a dyno and do a crap load of MR2s. I know they have a bit of a line though, since my car is there for a Link G4 Xtreme and a tune, and ive been told to wait till the end of april. Theres also Growler Motor labs in plano, ive been there before than they’re very professional.

1 Like

I’ve only been to PRT.
The wideband output isn’t logged to the dyno computer when we were there which makes it more time consuming to do any tuning as the a/f isn’t plotted against the power graph.
Have not dyno’d at Jotech, only been to visit a couple of times.
What year is your Civic? What are you going to use for tuning?

What kind of dyno does ATS and Growler have?

Just checked ATS has a DynoJet, im not sure what Growler has.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I will look them up and call about prices.

ATS doesn’t like phones, email or Facebook is the best way to get a hold of them.

1 Like

Ive heard of Jotech as well but also heard that they will suck you dry for all the cash in your pocket. I have a 2007 civic 1.8l, non si. Currently I only have a cold air intake but just purchased a Yonkaka catback 2.5" exhaust. I’ve been looking into getting the Megan Racing header which deletes the cat, so I was thinking of welding a universal cat from Summit in my midpipe to pass emissions. So I’m really just looking to get a Flashpro tune and eventually get a Dyno tune once I start doing more engine work. Within the next year I am planning on either a super charger or turbo…so just planning ahead.

1 Like

+1 for superchargers. That’s what’s on my MR2

1 Like

I’ve seen many R18 engines equipped cat deleted “headers” that pass using an o2 relocator but YMMV.
The 2.5 exhaust won’t do much currently until you’ve gone turbo or super charged.
On many of the newer(2005-up) small displacement engines, a mid-pipe swap doesn’t do much.
The muffler swap sometimes makes a difference on some models; but generally, a more aggressive exhaust note is what you get.
A turbo can get you close to 190whp without internals(but not very forgiving to driver error). Right now, tuned, without the 2.5" cat-back, assuming M/T, you’re likely to be in the 115 range give or take several hp, if you’re car’s a good example of the “average” Civic of that generation.

1 Like

Growler Motor Labs (previously COBB Performance) is a great outfit up in Plano. I’ve done dynos there and visited the shop often. Great group of guys.

1 Like

Do they rent out their dyno?

I’ve done a lot of reading on forums and I know that with my stock setup I won’t get much with the 2.5” exhaust. I’m most likely going to just put the axleback on for a deeper tone and wait until I have the SC to put the rest of the system on. I did hear/read that with a high flow racing header and tune I could get an extra 5-10hp including my cold air intake. I currently have 176k miles and it is a 5spd MT. I’m not expecting much gains until I get the supercharger but I’m deff trying to find a shop that I can go back to for tuning once all my upgrades are complete.

Haven’t had one done since the change, but had a few dynos done there as COBB. I’d say reach out to them and see about just a dyno. [email protected]

1 Like

The factory engines are being squeezed for all they’re worth. It’s at the point that dyno tuning is the only appreciable way for the aftermarket to get most out of them in stock form.

You’re right, dyno tuning is probably the best way. There’s a R18 civic meet up this Sunday that I’m going to and I’ll ask around and see what they recommend from experience. Most likely I’ll just wait until I have everything installed to do the dyno tune. I might get lucky and get someone to lend me their flashpro and I can make a quick OBDII tune to increase some torque

It is; combined with some fine tuning (if needed) on the road/track.

Here’s a video you might enjoy.
It’s a K20 under the hood though.

To piggy back on this thread. Do places that dyno cars also dyno motorcycles?

I saw PRT had a motorcycle adapter for their dyno.

I just came across this. Not sure if thats what your looking for.

https://www.facebook.com/events/689049248176836/

1 Like