Dye-sub training & embroidery

Would anyone be able to get me certified for dye-sub? I’m interested in learning how to use the equipment!

On another note, do we have equipment for embroidery?

My goal is to make cute t-shirts for friends and family that has combination of dye-sub and embroidery as well as some cute iron-on emblems. Thanks!

1 Like

We do have 2 embroidery machines. We’re currently trying to beat them into submission. Be aware that for embroidery, you either need to use the alphabets and the few pictures in the machines, or buy designs from the big online embroidery houses. Making an embroidery file isn’t particularly trivial.

1 Like

I’ve added a Dye Sub 101 class to the calendar for Monday, October 26th at 6pm. It should be available Friday morning.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/16043

3 Likes

This. Im currently trying to learn digitizing and holy learning curve.

3 Likes

Yep. I tried it after taking the class at DMS, but good grief is it hard to make anything more than simple shapes. And you kinda need to be at the space unless you own a machine so you can keep stitching it out over and over as you go to see what it even looks like in thread. At least that was my experience trying it. After that I always give the people in my classes a heads up on that path way. Doable, but a lot harder than you’d imagine.

I have three machines now but even with the machines, and the expensive software, I know it just takes years of practice to get good. So many factors, stitch density, fabric type, etc. I just mostly pay people to do it for me, lol

1 Like

I’m still limping along with the rudimentary SewArt software, but I’m looking to upgrade. What software are you using?

I like Hatch from Wilcom. It’s kind of expensive, but it makes most digitizing a lot easier. There’s a 30 day trial, and there’s also a cheaper version called Hatch Embroidery Composer that will let you digitize basic stuff.

4 Likes