Dye-sub/Heat Press Image On Shirt

I need to make a tank top that has an image and text on it. Rhinestone letters will be applied on top of the dye-sub letters. I’ve only been able to find a suitable style tank that is 50% poly 50% cotton. I just noticed that tag indicates ‘do not iron decoration’…is there any reason that it wouldn’t work as others with this blend haven’t been an issue?

In addition, I’d like the image/text to be all black and I realize it won’t with that blend. Does anyone have an better method that would produce a higher quality result that isn’t dye-sub? I tried to get it printed through zazzle, but since the image is likely under copyright the order ended up getting cancelled. It’s a gift, so not reproducing for $$ :wink:

This is the test print…

This the actual shirt tag

One more thing…do I need to heat press the letters before adding the rhinestones or could it be done all at once?

Dye sub should work, if you don’t mind that some of the ink will wash out (i.e. the ink on the cotton fibers). There is no way to do dye sub and the rhinestones at the same time. The dye sub transfer has to directly contact the shirt, and the rhinestones’ glue probably needs a lower temperature that the dye sub does.

2 Likes

On a 50/50 you’re going to lose all the detail in the face when you wash it and it’ll turn into a muddy mess. Better to go with a 100% poly one - here’s a good option:

https://www.shirtspace.com/american-apparel/tank-tops-sleeveless-shirts/7440-american-apparel-pl408w-unisex-sublimation-tank?variant_id=280202

Yes, they’re right abt the polyester content on the shirt…if you want strong color/contrast you want 100% polyester. How are you going to apply your rhinestones? …by hand or with a template? The stones i use most for shirts are size SS10 and apply at 325 degrees for 15 secs with medium pressure.