Durmax fuel filter head rebuild

Last weekend, my truck died within 10 seconds of starting as I was re-positioning it do some work on another vehicle. I was able to start it after re-priming it with the hand pump, which points to a loss of prime.

Installing a clear section of fuel hose between the filter head and the CP3 intake revealed many bubbles.

One $12 o-ring and aluminum bleeder screw kit later, no more bubbles. However, there is a significant restriction still to be identified (see the static vacuum bubble on the left hand side that the air bubbles pass through). The youtubes suggest a collapsed hose or clogged fuel pickup somewhere upstream, so more work is to come.

3 Likes

Have you eliminated the air entering the fuel feed/supply system?

2 Likes

I am not too sure on chevy’s but you may have a clogged pre-filter screen in the tank. Diesel can be bad about getting growth in the tank if you’re not careful. That maybe enough to give you cavitation.

3 Likes

Tim beat me to it, but those “socks” around the pickup or in-tank pumps are usually a clogged mess…

2 Likes

Could always pick up the bed…
:wink:

2 Likes

If it is a Texas or southwest truck, raising the cargo bed is definitely the way to go.
I’ll help!
If the truck is from the rust belt then dropping the tank may be your only realistic option.

3 Likes

I’ll give you a hand. I find it more enjoyable working on other vehicles than mine.

All 3 of mine have a laundry list of items to do.

5 Likes

I had a prefilter clog on my old f350 once. That was a nightmare. I was on my way to my paramedic exam when it happened…

The key symptom I learned to IDing an algae problem clogging a prefilter was that if you let it "rest, fuel would slowly work its way back into the fuel system, but after a brief run, say out of your neighborhood, it would starve. Then you couldn’t get it restarted.

2 Likes

Me too. If you get into something that’s above your own head or are missing parts - get deep enough that you should abandon hope - or whatever, you can always drive away in your own car…:exploding_head:

2 Likes

Not sure what year of Duramax you have, however, the fuel filter assembly is notorious for giving similar issues (as mine did)…before going much further, I would strongly recommend making sure you have installed the following kit:

For the money, it is a relatively inexpensive way to eliminate this as a very common issue…worked great for me as I was having issues - especially in warmer weather with it losing pressure. This fixed me 100%.

If pressing the primer button a few times will get you started again, I would say this is , at the very least, a “smoking gun” to look at.

2 Likes