DTFB R/C Airplane building class

I am in for the kit minus the transmitter/receiver.

I have to decide whether to go with the Turnigy or spring for the Spektrum.

There is also a lower cost-ish (because battery and receiver) Taranisā€¦

In comparisons between the Spektrum and Turnigy, they often pit the DX6i against the the 9x because they are around the same price.

The advantages of the DX6i are:

1. More resistant to interference if many of them are in use.
  2. Easier to program.
  3. Better build quality.

The advantages of the 9x are:

1. Nine channels instead of six.
  2. Receivers are under $10.
  3. Potentially more hackable.

Hiā€¦i am a new user here. I would like to share my experience as well. I want to start just learning to fly R/C. Then I want to build some balsa kits, but modify them for R/C and electric power.Then maybe take on some of those large Guillows warbird kits with retractable gear and flaps. And get into multi-engine. So I would want enough channels to eventually do that. I do not want to be replacing radio gear because it was not good enough.

1 Like

This will be a fun class, I hope to make it. I made a DTFB wing in a class held by Harold early last year and itā€™s still hanging in my garage. I bought a turnigy 10 channel transmitter (overkill, possibly for planning ahead) and have flown it a couple times now (albeit badly, but it flew!)

After that I built the DTFB Viggen with a ducted fan. Iā€™ve yet to finish installing the electronics.

Canā€™t wait to see the class

I am a HUGE Taranis fan, myself, so Iā€™m definitely biased on this one. My transmitter that I fly with currently is the Taranis X9D, and I love it. OpenTX is a really versatile software, but takes some getting used to. Iā€™ve never used the QX7, but if its anything like the X9D, $100 is hard to beat!

So at this price we are limited to elevon or v-tail planes only (arrow, vector, mini f-22, sparrow). If we increase the price by $10 we can add 2 servos and open up a much larger variety of planes (tiny trainer, corsair, mustang, scout, speedster, sporster, ect.)

Adding an additional $17 would open up the twins (mini guinea, mini cruiser, super bee)

Would you guys be interested in any of this? Or is keeping the price down a higher priority?

My priority is a platform giving me the best odds of learning to successfully fly. And land, of course. A strong secondary priority is not to have to immediately replace it with something more capable.

Then I would suggest we at least add the additional servos for $10. The reason being that you can learn easiest on the tiny trainer (which requires 4 servos) then once you are confident in your skills, for about $5 you can take all those electronics out and put them into an arrow (only requires 2 servos, so youā€™ll have some replacements).

The Arrow should take you from intermediate to advanced. You can even put an FPV system on it :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve been flying RC for a long time, but Iā€™m very rusty. The last time I flew was 10 years ago or so. I have a ton of RC gear that I bought years ago which is mostly hanging in my garage. Iā€™m sort of interested in getting back into the hobby.

Iā€™m interested in this project. I took Haroldā€™s class a while back, too. I just never followed through with a build. Thanks for putting the class together. If my schedule permits Iā€™d like to take the class.

All my stuff is nitro-fueled. I own quite a few engines, but no electrics. Iā€™d like the idea though as it is not nearly as messy. I might also be interested in converting one of the models I already have to electric.

This is the club I was a member of for many years: http://www.ndrcc.com/

An additional $10 is relatively small compared to the whole cost.

My toughest decision will be picking the radio system.

I hear that! Itā€™s the part that can make or break a purchase. My Hitec TX set me back $400 and my Taranis was like $200ā€¦ The saving grace is that you have 0% chance of crashing your TX, so it should only be a one time purchase. :joy:

So Iā€™m planning set a deadline for making the orders at ~1 month from now to give people time to save. The deadline will be marked on the calendar. I think the easiest way to handle the orders would be to collect the funds Through PayPal, then make the order. Once the order is received, we would then schedule a time to do the class.

To organize what parts everyone wants in their order, I will make a Google Sheets for everyone to mark their desired changes on.

One week later I will then mark that sheet with the amount due for each personā€™s order.

Participants will then transfer funds Via PayPal (Iā€™m assuming everyone has a paypal, if not we can work something out)

Following that, will be the deadline for receiving funds (two weeks after official prices have been posted ā€“ I will notify via Talk when the prices are up).

Once all funds are received (or deadline hits) I will place the order. ā€“ If I have not received funds for your order it will not be processed

Once the shipment has arrived, I will put a class date on the events calendar.

Does this sound like an acceptable plan to everyone?

2 Likes

Go here and sign up before July 15th! :smiley:

I tried several times, but the form will not let me enter my information.

Please put me down for a kit minus the transmitter/receiver.

Iā€™m signing up. You are not going to believe the super fun design we have come up with :grin:

1 Like

Sorry about that, itā€™s fixed! :smiley: ā€“ I also put you down, Bill. :slight_smile:

Looks like itā€™ll just be the four of us. Does anyone have a preference on which model theyā€™d like to build? Any of the single engine miniā€™s should be okay. Iā€™m a fan of the arrow and mini F-22, both are easy to build and are designed in such a way that the motor is protected in crashes (meaning more chances to re-build after the worst inevitably occurs). The Tiny Trainer is also a good option for learning to fly, but the motor is slapped up in front (so impact speeds should generally lower, but a hard nose-in will likely damage the motor). If any of the other mini ft models catch your fancy, we can do them instead, these are just my suggestions. If no response, Iā€™ll just plan on doing the Arrow (as this one is my personal favorite :p)

Also, @Kriskat30 I put you down for nothing omitted, is that correct?

I need everything lol. And Iā€™ll defer to your judgement as to what to build for me. :blush:

Prices are up! Total amount due is highlighted in red. Once I receive payment Iā€™ll change it to green. Payments accepted via Paypal ([email protected]).