Down the rabbit hole of things you find on YouTube [the /b of talk, be excellent]

1 Like

“excellence” is a deliberately vague term that refers to how you treat other people. Of course it’s going to be an opinion. There is no objective measure of what excellence means, it is constantly being defined by the community.

This is no more an attempt at legislation than a mother shaking her finger at a toddler for using a swear word.

The point here is that making fun of about half of the membership is just not cool. (IMO the split at DMS is pretty close to 50/50 )

Did I make a law saying you can’t stereotype people based on their political leanings?

It’s actually common sense. In preschool I learned that it is mean to make fun of people, regardless of whether you see eye to eye with them or not.

I mean, generally speaking, making fun of people does not maintain a peaceful environment.

The video talks about gun registration laws in Canada. How does a comment about conservatives and liberals relate to that? Or to anything in this thread for that matter? Did anyone in this thread state their political leanings? And even if they did, how does that give you the right to be mean?

@yashsedai :says a mean, falsehood.
me: stop being mean
yashesedai:

^THAT is an opinion; however, it is an opinion that is rooted in basic human decency and common sense.

We are in agreement, excellence is an intentionally vague term that has variable meaning. Not a fan…Mainly due to the fact it can be so variable.

I was making a point, being intentionally dramatic when stating “legislation”. Admonishing is no big deal, just using it to illustrate a concept.

That’s the beautiful thing about life, you can be a Victor or a Victim. The mindset is all about what you make of it. Either you choose to allow my opinion to bear weight and see it negatively or you choose to see it for what it is, a statement of opinion that my or may not apply to you.

Cheers!

1 Like

I’m being mean? HAHAHAHAHA, ya i think you might need to go back to school on that one. It would seem you have chosen to be the victim here. That must mean that everyone else is perpetrator! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. That is the point of me calling out your problematic behavior. If you don’t like it, I recommend taking your own advice.

I’m the victor who made her point. You can choose to see where I am coming from or you can ignore it.

2 Likes

So you’d prefer that we legislate what behavior is acceptable? The whole point of it being vague is that what is “excellent” today might not be tomorrow, and the community decides what that is from one discussion to the next, but the community isn’t static, so you can’t have the kind of “fixed” rule that you might have against say stealing or violence which are always wrong.

The “excellence” thing is a way to tell jerks that they’re being jerky.

That’s a really good point about mindsets. However I would like to point out that there are many other options beyond just victor or victim, and that trying to WIN a discussion is generally jerky behavior. Conversation is a dance not a battle.

I don’t see Ashley’s behavior as “playing the victim” I see it as you trying to WIN a discussion about a political stance that you’re clueless about.

You guys are too rich! I do appreciate however you both making the point I was trying to illustrate.

Start a new “We yell past each other about politics” thread.

You folks have drifted WAY off topic.

2 Likes

Wait, what was the topic again?

Oh right, ideological bickering via the gun issue.

“Down the rabbit hole of things you find on YouTube”

1 Like

Oh dang, coulda swore this was the “giving ‘snowflakes’ a hard time” thread.

Here’s my weird stuff you find on youtube selection.

I was commandeered :slight_smile:

No gripes if you feel the need for such a thread though. Whatever floats your boat.

But please mark the subject clearly. Those of us that wish to avoid the pig mud wrestling can just mark it read and move along…

I don’t need it, but I’ll admit that when I see someone looking for a fight I find it hard to turn down. Not a great habit, I know.
Honestly it’s hard to tell anymore when someone wants a fight vs. a debate, or they just want to hear their own echo chamber bounce back at them.

So when people see gun propaganda posted on the forum you can understand why folks show up to flame.
Like, I went all the way back to the first post in the thread and I did not get the idea that the OP was looking for a thread of youtube vids.

Still, I try my absolute best to keep my tone respectful and my points on topic.

Lots of places to talk 2A issues.

Very few where such a discussion can be had without someone from one side or the other going on a rant.

Once that starts, the discussion is pretty much over.

Here - lots of other things to talk about. Why do we need to drag in outside politics ? We have enough internal stuff.

So the trend in this thread - intended as a hint - was to post stuff that was not particularly serious.

Seems way better than driving more wedges in.

1 Like

Agreed 1000% :smiley:

I guess the question might be: Is the gun issue automatically political?

We have a very diverse group, so naturally controversial topics will generate a lot of different opinions.

1 Like

@Ashley_Newland and @tombakerftw,
Please be excellent to all members. Suggesting that @yashsedai is " not being nice" and that he is violating our code of excellence for making the suggestion that,

Then the two of you chose to use team up and use bullying tactics of misrepresenting his points by restating as absurd topics or suggesting he his having an emotional break down via Trolling videos and gifs.

To make this worse, while @yashsedai made a minor suggestion of how he views some liberal actions, @Raymond in the very next post insinuates that Conservatives are Serial Rapists.

While you two chose to take offense to @yashsedai’s statement which did not suggest anything illegal or really insulting, their is zero room for a non-offensive interpretation of @Raymond’s statement. Your selective offense in this thread suggests that you two are the individuals not being excellent in this case.

1 Like

I’ll add that the appeal to feelings is a non starter for persuasion in any nuanced argument. How someone feels is a highly subjective in most cases.

1 Like

Fair enough. We were both responding to what seemed like belittling for the sake of starting shit.

Looking at the posts now I see that it looks like ganging up, but you’re cherry picking his posts, our gripe was about the overall tone of his replies. What constitutes an insult could be debated, but I’m not being selectively offended. I’m not offended at all. I’m offering my opinion on the combative way he chooses to express himself.

I don’t identify as liberal or conservative. Both sides make me a little I’ll.

1 Like