Don't know if this would be machine shop or metal shop

But do we have any equipment suitable for cutting and/or bending steel rule to make dies? …particularly for making block mounted clicker dies for punching leather.

What does this mean?

I moved to metal shop. I’m not sure how thick the steel is for making the clicker dies. Next week the new shear & brake will be here. The capacity is 16 gauge for mild steel.The new brake has very few limitations, compared to normal brakes. In the research I was able to see that they were 1.25" wide but the thickness was undetermined.

1 Like

Thicknesses are listed at this (randomly chosen from page 1 of a Google search) company’s site as available from 0.014 to 0.112, and in varying hardnesses from B90 to C56. Also, they show up to 2" “height”.

Assuming this falls under “steel gauge”, which may be erroneous, but for the sake of comparison, that’d be about 11 gauge (0.1196" with 10 gauge at 0.1345") and thinner (0.014 being about 29 gauge).

http://www.engineersedge.com/gauge.htm

This sounds a little like working with bandsaw blades, to me.

that’s not a bad analogy for steel rule die, except instead of teeth, it is all one sharp blade.
here is an example:

As you can see, the steel rule is bent to shape and embedded in a wooden form (which the CNC is a good tool to do with a 1/16" bit). This one has a metal plate wedged between two wood blocks. the metal acts as a backing for the knife, and gives it strength for use on a hydralic press.These dont’ necessarily have to be welded but it don’t hurt.

Here is an example of a clicker die:

usually 3/4 or 1" steel. it has a self suporting frame and often a cross frame which is welded in for strength. :

1 Like

I was looking at block mounted over the traditional welded style since I’m not a welder, but the welded ones use bigger rule and can handle thicker leather. I believe Helmold is the main manufacturer of manual die rule tools like these offeted at http://www.wagnerdiesupply.com/HelmoldDieroomEquip.html, but there are AMAZING automated die machines like the IDEA http://www.diesupplyguys.com/index.php/serviform-company/idea-steel-rule-bender...drool… I don’t need super-complicated cuts, but dealing with the edge char using the laser for making repetitive cuts comes with its own issues with amount of clean-up required.

From the link provided, the “Helmold Cutter” appears to be a variant of this type of shear:

As Tim said, there is a shear on order. It’s a different type of shear, but might be suitable depending on whether the steel rule material chosen falls into its capabilities.

I wonder if one could recycle old bandsaw blades for this…

That is also referred to as a Beverly shear. Or throatless shear. That is on my list of wants too. You can do som serious cutting with some of those. They make some that will shear 3/16 which is pretty impressive.

1 Like

Thaaaaaats the phrase I was looking for. Couldn’t remember it. :smile:

the bender runs about $450. I’ll have to save my pennies.