Donner - Laser Dot Alignment

The red “locator” dot on Donner is not visible [I believe the alignment of the red laser is off]. The laser is cutting fine - it is just hard to align things properly.

@Team_Laser

1 Like

Yeah it’s a known issue. You kinda have to just do your best with that one.

1 Like

I had the same issue a couple weeks ago. The laser might have been on but just super faint. It never occurred to me to take a wet Qtip to the red dot laser to see if it was covered with soot …

My solution has been to provide generous material margins and use the FRAME function several times.

However, my use case is cleansheet - cutting or engraving + cutting - thus alignment isn’t as critical as it is for, say, engraving a finished good.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s the just engraving part that is my issue. I can eyeball it “close” enough that it passes the casual inspection, but it is a lot easier to position the dot in the center of my workpiece.

There are obvious workarounds [cutting a fixture or using another laser cutter], but I had everything set up and power settings tested before I noticed the locator laser wasn’t working [and I was being lazy]. But the laser works great.

I think the red laser is active but not aligned to hit the second mirror to bounce it out toward the workpiece [I don’t think it’s clearing the sheet metal hole between the first & second mirror].

This still seems to be an issue. Is there any plan to fix it? Is there something I can do to help with it?

It’s not an issue if you have a big sheet of material and lots of margin but it’s kinda problematic if you don’t.

EDIT: If we assume that the laser dot on Donner is at the same relative position as the one on Blizten, then the mythical dot would be about 1/4" to the right of the laser head.

Here is a photo of Blitzen (which is still not working - don’t get excited - but we can at least see the dot’s position).

1 Like