Does the laser group want a lot of free acrylic?

My workplace may be interested in donating hundreds of pounds of old covid shields to DMS, ~1/4" thick transparent acrylic. Pretty good condition but not virgin material, some scratches here and there. My job is near lake worth.

Is this something the laser group would like to accept as a donation? I can get more specifics on the sheet sizes, qty, etc but management wanted to confirm there’s an interest before we start collecting that information.

1 Like

The plastics sig may be interested.

Tagging @keoliver

1 Like

Plastics SIG definitely. Can you get sheet size info for us?

Might also be useful for any committees that need to make a machine enclosure.

@nausser915 … are there any lapidary machines that need a splash guard of some type?

2 Likes

Laser would also be interested in some, but plastics would def also use a good chunk.

I do want to make sure that we don’t take more than we have easy storage for though :stuck_out_tongue:

If there’s too much, or laser/pig Sig committees are willing to share, I know I could use a few large pieces for some projects that I’ve been wanting to do.

This indicates that there’s enough to go around and some that can be claimed by committees and some can be put up for grabs for members for projects. I’m sure im not the only one that could use some.

If this looks like something that’s going to come to fruition, I will definitely be willing to take my truck and go pick up as much as my truck can handle.

2 Likes

Vector can use some, we need to make a surround for our buffer.

2 Likes

I remember hearing that the flat lap needed an enclosure, along with some other things/repairs.

1 Like

A truck would be very helpful, I’m going to send you a DM!

Also it sounds like there’s a strong demand, so I’ll do my best to secure the acrylic. It might take a while for the approval to happen.

2 Likes

Calgary Protospace recieved a similar donation…A 2’ high stack of acrylic, disappeared within two weeks

Eric in GWN

Have a pickup, but can’t do anything until Sunday.