Does anyone want a class on carving resin on a lathe?

I would be interested! I’m taking the lathe 101 on the 16th. Would love to take this class after that.

1 Like

I am thinking i can get the cost of the blank to be $12.00 per blank or $8.00 per blank. (I would stipulate for a jumbo chicken sized egg) Alluminite is 16 oz for $24.00. So your starting price is $30.00 and your using $18.00 dollars for wood… that puts $12.00 dollars for 8.0 oz of resin. To make an egg that must be over 8 oz. I am estimating an ostrich egg is 45.24316 oz. (ref https://bionumbers.hms.harvard.edu/bionumber.aspx?id=105104&ver=2) Very Large chicken egg is 3 oz.(ref https://www.thekitchn.com/medium-large-jumbo-how-egg-sizes-actually-measure-up-ingredient-intelligence-200891) if your doing an ostrich egg on the lathe then i am impressed if ostrich size epoxy resin egg, not then i am confused… given the size of the resin are you also going to allow people to carve resin bowls? I am trying to harden art and glow resin so it can be use on the lathe. If it is cheaper and works i will post my finding… if not please dislodge the resin from a deceased makerspace member… oooh freebie…(yes i am joking i will just protective gear. but not every experiment is a success.) To restate, i was looking to teach a class to make jumbo size resin eggs.

they are somewhere between an ostrich egg and duck egg. For reference, I use a solo cup for the mold.

Not following the question here. I think that would be a separate class altogether.

2 Likes

I think that part of the problem is you’re talking about two different products. @Lordrook is talking about Alumilite Slow (https://www.alumilite.com/products/casting-resins/rigid/alumilite-clear-slow) a product designed and meant for turning on a lathe.

I think this is the material you’ve listed - Amazing Clearcast made by Alumilite (https://www.alumilite.com/products/casting-resins/amazing-clear-cast) which is definitely less expensive but was developed primarily for clear coating and thinner applications.

Before I started using Slow, I went through several kits of the Amazing - and it was very tricky to get a good cure on the material when used in thicknesses bigger than an inch; your mileage may vary and I may have just been exceptionally bad at using the Amazing kits. Since starting on the Slow, many of my problems have disappeared - purely in my (disregardable) opinion, it’s worth the cost to use the better material for the job.

6 Likes

:point_up_2: This

1 Like

sorry so this blank is problematic because it is not hard enough or are we talking about cracks?

I think this is the same size we wanted just no wood and that same resin i was using before.

JoAnn and I think Michaels sell Alumilite in the store, and you can use a coupon. The coupons are especially good right now. One coupon per person per day means the instructors can’t buy in bulk, but students can get the price diwn if they go shopping with a coupon. That would also eliminate shipping costs.

1 Like

As John pointed out the Alumilite Amazing clear cast is different than Alumilite clear for for wood turning. In my opinion it is not recommended for turning projects. It is a bar top sealer that will yellow over time and is not as durable as the Alumilite for wood turning. This causes dangers in turning especially when it warms up under the friction of chisels. It tends to get gummy and will cause catches and can start to wobble as it flexes.

Alumilite can be confusing as they offer a dozen different types of Resin. Always read up on the specific type of Resin you want to use, as they really are not all the same. Unfortunately it is hard to find the Alumilite for wood turning locally but the best option is really to all go in on a 2 Gallon kit like Steve has done in the past for his classes.

2 Likes

How often do they tend to have the classes? I was planning on going to the lathe 101 class on the 16th, but didn’t realize it was a limited size/RSVP based. Do they tend to be on a monthly schedule or anything like that?