Does Anyone Know About the History of the Pines Motel?

Hello, I’m a new user and I created this account specifically to know about the Pines Motel in Lewisville, TX… Essentially, I need a timeline from when it was built and I have looked everywhere but I can’t seem to find it anywhere at all. If you can help me, that would AMAZING. There is a lot I want to know about it because of a personal experience that I had when I was younger.

Thanks in advance!!! :smile:

@Lampy knows quite a bit about it. Janis Joplin stayed there at one point.

1 Like

The fact that hotel wasn’t bulldozed decades ago continuously astounds me.

4 Likes

Yeah, I tried calling them and the lady didn’t even try to answer my question. I hope it doesn’t get bulldozed any time soon, I still need to get the answer I’m looking for up close. :laughing:

Thank you! I read a previous post by him but hopefully I can gain more info!

All I got is an old Talk post: A bit of local history with a dash of shenanigans & mystery... And food. ;)

I remember growing up that motel was there, in the later part of the 1950’s early 1960’s.
Later, I lived in Lewisville from 1983 - January 2018. What prompted me to inquire about the motel is that they are trying to demolish the Como Motel in Richardson, Texas, and they have a petition trying to stop it. We moved there in 1958, and the Como was there way back then, so they may have been built, whenever, at about the same time.

Think the Como Hotel is a tad better known than the Pines.

1 Like

I would think a soggy cardboard box under an i35 overpass on a hott humid day like today would be cleaner and safer than the Pines.

I’ve but driven past it a few times … and didn’t feel inclined to so much as slow down. But it’s one of those weird landmarks for some, kind of like how BUCKEYE CUT RATE was a Lake Dallas landmark for some.

1 Like

I think The Pines dates back to the days when The Duck Inn was a thing in Lake Dallas (late 1950s). Lake Dallas was a thing back when local option liquor licensing was a thing in Texas. Lake Dallas was the liquor store capital, because religious groups could appear at zoning meetings and easily block a liquor store from opening in Lewisville or Highland Village. Lake Dallas made it their cause celebre’.

It might be fun to go rent a suite at The Pines on Halloween; just to see what goes bump in the night there!

1 Like

If nothing else, vigorous commerce being conducted in adjacent rooms.

2 Likes

I bet every weekend evening there is like Halloween!

You may wanna wear a full body condom as your costume and take a backpack /commercial size sprayer of luminol for use before …coming in contact with anything…

Do they have a swimming pool?

It is filled in with dirt now. It WAS the first swimming pool in Denton County.

1 Like

Sad! Could have been a great pool party location for the DMS and the science committee.

2 Likes