Does a particular tool exist?

Hi, I was looking at buy this tool. It is about $40 buck with shipping and some of the reviews complained about the numbers wearing off.

Alternative was this at $70

Is there something that will measure in 1/8th increments or less, 2-6 inches long, and pointy? That is less than $40 or at least has numbers that don’t wear off. Closest thing i found was a taper gauge but it measure the wrong dimension for me.

Taper gauge

you could probably laser one out of acrylic

1 Like

Do you know if we have acrylic that can be used for templates or should we buy our own? I’d like to cut an acrylic bowl blank pattern. Essentially, it is something like this:
https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/see-through-bowl-blank-template

I’ve made something similar for Blacksmithing by taking a regular carpenters square (<$10 at a pawn shop) and lopping off one arm with the band saw, leaving a hook for measuring stock while hot.

Perhaps you could do something similar?

1 Like

What diameter do you need? I might have some scrap laying account. You’ll want to use cast acrylic, not extruded, if you are etching the concentric rings.

Made on our Laser cutter.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I was wanting. We could also make one for DMS as this would help the bowlturners mark their wood for turning into bowls.

The example below is pretty much what I was thinking. Any thickness works as long as it is reasonably stiff. Thanks for the offer. I’d say a 14 inch square piece would be adequate.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Going to order some pieces from sendcutsend and make the marks with the laser.

I’d see how much having them mark it would cost. Probably much more accurate since it is measuring from actual edges in model.