Do you have a webcam?

I want to convert one of our microscope to have a digital output, I was wondering if anyone has a 20MP web cam, that they want to donate to science?

:bulb: NOTE: New threads created as "uncategorized" will not show up on the list of "recent" topics. If you want to be sure that your thread is seen in the list of "recent" topics, it must be added to a specific category or sub-category. Please select the one most appropriate for the topic you are creating. This will also make it easier for members to locate the thread at a later date by browsing through the category associated with the subject of your thread. Thanks!

I’m not entirely sure of the specs of it, but I’ve got a spare Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD if you’d like that.

Is there such a thing as a 20MP webcam? Sounds like snake oil.

4 Likes

4k video is a hair under 9 megapixels. Heck I have a APS-C DSLR that’s only 16MP.

Edit: The new Make: magazine has a write-up into how to attach a Raspberry Pi camera module to a pair of binoculars. It could easily be adapted to a microscope.

1 Like

I generally think of image sensors with an imaging area on the order of 35mm film (36mm x 24mm) when I think of 20MP+ sensors. I wouldn’t think of a microscope producing an image circle 24mm in diameter, but I guess with modern optics (ie. proper objective and eyepiece) you can do this and still be in focus across the 24mm? Maybe?

Please check what version of camera mount that is on your microscope. Typically, a microscope will have a “C mount” lens thread. C mount lenses are typically used in all security cameras. So, whatever you come up with will have to mechanically interface with this thread type. I have attached below the specifications of a C mount lens.
C Mount Specifications

1 Like

Mounts for camera onto the eyepiece often have different lengths so it can change the focal plane onto the sensor making the circle larger or smaller.

As Ray said they have different threads. Not sure of the brand scope, but check under Nikon or Zeiss Scientific. These companies may major lines of equipment for science and medical fields. They may have an off the shelf solution. Canon may also, as may Fuji (their DSLR’s use Nikon mounts) just not as familiar with them.

1 Like

I’ve purchased several stereo microscopes from AmScope where the eyepiece lens can be replaced with a eyepiece camera.
Their products are reasonably priced as well, and ship with useful software.

1 Like

thank you, good idea!

3D fab has some 640x480 ms lifecams I left them in science

2 Likes

thank you! appreciate