Do we have pipe cutting and threading tools?

Is this something @Team_Logistics can buy since machine shop doesn’t want to? I know I have seen others do pipe and board furniture at the space and others have expressed interest in this thread. My 2cents is that the barrier to entry on this is lower than threading on a lathe. Also, buy the better one as we are hard on tools. #noHF

Edit: sorry not that one specifically. I linked to the wrong rigid one. I meant like the one David linked. http://www.plumberscrib.com/ridgid-36480-model-12-r-manual-exposed-npt-ratchet-threader-set.html?gclid=CJCwltKLjtQCFZG2wAodlzEOmQ

Just to be clear, that is not mine, though I wish I had one, it is just a random craigslist ad.

Ridgid is going to be your best bet.
I have some here I could donate.
It is a manual one I bought at a garage sale about 5 years ago.
It might not be perfect but it’s a start and it’s free. If you want me to bring it in I will be there tomorrow afternoon. I am missing one size. Ridgid is the standard so looking for a cheap one will not be a wise investment.

6 Likes

I spent 2 summers as a oilfield roustabout in the OK panhandle and can say from experience that Ridgid makes industrial grade stuff. Anything that can cut and thread well tubing has my vote.

3 Likes

It really seems like @macapaka was originally asking whether a tool that would serve the purpose that he now (and others in the past) has a need for; and that since it appears that we do not currently have one, whether any committee would consider purchasing one for members to use at the 'Space.

I don’t see anywhere where any current chair specifically refuses to purchase one, so I’m going to tag the three chairs over the three committees most likely to consider the request to purchase a tool capable of doing the job.

@dallasmagna, @nicksilva, and @dpgalla

Is there any chance that @Team_Metal_Shop, @Team_Machine_Shop and/or @Team_Logistics would please review the needs and various options linked in the posts above, and consider purchasing something that members could use to do the type of threading needed?

And/or consider the offer from @jeffbob:thumbsup: :dms: :plasmacam_smiley:

Thanks in advance for taking the time to review this thread and give it some consideration! :dms: :plasmacam_smiley:

It is a manual unit and if nothing else you could keep mine
for when the teeth on the others get dull. I have pipe at home that
I too was considering using for both table bases and lamps but
having the luxury of being at my vacation home, MakerSpace it
would be a lot more conducive to the reality of actually accomplishing it.
Long sentence there.

Just let me know.

Jeff Whitcomb
2100 Bowling Green
Denton, TX 76201
800-969-9368
cell-903-203-9463
“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW
[email protected]

thread bump. seems to be a ongoing thing?