Do we have pipe cutting and threading tools?

Does anyone know if we have 1/2 inch pipe cutting and threading tools???

1 Like

I have absolutely no idea how to do so, but I know that the Clausing-Colchester lathe can do threading/cutting.

was thinking something more along the lines of this: https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Pipe-Threading-Tool-NPT/dp/B00QCMCGSO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495814373&sr=8-3&keywords=pipe+threading

@Team_Metal_Shop might have some or could get them

As far as I can tell from the prior posts asking this question:
(a) We don’t have any pipe threading/cutting tools. However, since this question seems to come up periodically, you might petition your favorite committee to get some (EDIT: Since the set you found is only $43, you might have success with this approach).
(b) NPT is a tapered thread. The Colchester is capable of threading but it is not capable of cutting the tapered pipe threads.

2 Likes

Worst case, home depot should be able to cut/thread it for you, as long as it is not too short of a section.

1 Like

Yea, Im going to try and get these bought for the space. including a pipe cutter.

tapered is ideal and whats the colchester?

Not that I know of. What makes pipe threading hard without the proper dies is it has taper to it so it is “self-sealing.” Our lathe cuts straight threads, no taper.

I know this is clear as mud, but here it is:

3 Likes

We don’t have specific pipe cutting and threading tools. Chop saw will cut
pipe, but we can’t thread it.

Additional comment: Why the heck couldn’t they just make it 1.5 degrees instead of 1 degree 47 minutes and 24 seconds of angle. Like 2 minutes and 36 seconds is going to make a big whoop.

1 Like

No more use than it would probably get, here’s a Northern Tool set for $80 a small notch above HF, but a set by Ridgid is $450

1 Like

yea i was just linking to something similar, any tool recommends are great and im sure that one is awesome

Well, the first question is, are you cutting and threading for plumbing or decorative work?

If you need it to last and hold pressure, you need a good kit.

If it’s for building or decorative work, the cheap stuff will work.

1 Like

I was just pricing out some similar options from harbor freight for some decor/furniture projects (so no plumbing / water pressure concerns for me) when I found this thread. How can I start/join the effort to get some of these tools for DMS? I don’t know how this is normally done, and I haven’t spent much time in the Machine Shop, so any guidance or contact info would be much appreciated.

If it doesn’t have to hold pressure then you can use the lathe to cut NPS or straight pipe thread. However fittings may be more expensive i.e. The floor flanges.

If you are looking for really low usage, then HF and NT are okay. But for tools that are intended to standup regular usage or cleaner threads, you need much better grade of tool.

Here’s the thing about pipe threading NPT tools: no committee really does “plumbing”. Machine Shop has taps and dies, but they are for threading items being built that need standard straight type threads. There is a much greater demand for acquiring metric taps and dies and I suspect those would be acquired before committee members would vote for “plumbing” taps or dies. Limited funds so committee prioritizes what we buy.

Taps and dies for very small tubing, .500"< there is a greater demand for flaring tools and taps and dies because many projects use pneumatic or hydraulic pressure lines. So does automotive.

I believe the above is why we don’t have them on hand. I know there are projects that use NPT threads, but right now, not sure who wants to get them. Might attend some committee meetings and try to gin up some support for spending.

No trying to sound negative, that’s kinda how things operate in terms of tool acquisition. Also a committee has to find a place to store them.

This looks about like the the right tool for the job, it can also thread bolts up to 2" :grin:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/tls/6146295329.html

I dont know what the big deal is… you guys are over thinking everything per usual…
Id just like a set of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Pipe-Threading-Tool-NPT/dp/B00QCMCGSO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495814373&sr=8-3&keywords=pipe+threading

So that I could cut some pipe and assemble it into table legs and fixtures…

Whats the big deal?

Also storage concerns theres plenty of room for a small box such as this, so im not sure what the big deal is here again, there are plenty of tools at the space that are very specialized and take up more room than these…

again whats the big deal and can we just get these?

1 Like

heres an even cheaper one:
https://www.amazon.com/Comie-Ratchet-Threader-Ratcheting-Plumbing/dp/B01B42BU3S/ref=pd_sbs_469_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01B42BU3S&pd_rd_r=1Y8HSP5NS7KBQ2YEV2J4&pd_rd_w=LHFUh&pd_rd_wg=3c2cc&psc=1&refRID=1Y8HSP5NS7KBQ2YEV2J4