Do we have a wheel lug stud puller?

I broke a wheel lug stud (M12-1.50, 40mm long, 8mm shoulder) on a rear wheel (drum brakes) on my 94 pickup. Internet is swarming with video’s of people hammering them out however I’ve read that’s possibly damaging to bearings and related items. A stud puller would seem a much better choice and I thought we might have one tucked away …

I don’t think we have one (please correct me if I’m wrong) but this sounds like the perfect time to buy one. What say you, @TLAR?

If there is at least 3/4 of a a flange thickness still sticking out where it broke off, you may be able to drive it out with the ball joint press, with no accessories on it.

If it has broken off inside the flange (I suspect this is fairly common) an adapter could be turned that slips over the end of the press and tapers to fit inside the hole in the flange to push the old stud out.

2 Likes

I’ve always used either another bolt or a punch to knock them out.

1 Like

I am not a fan of beating it to death with a BFH.
The suggested ball joint tool will probably be to big to fit in the limited space with the shoes in place. I have used a tie rod / ball joint separated to push a stud out.
A heavy duty C clamp and a trash socket (or cup from the ball joint tool) makes for a stud remover(essentially the same thing)
I will order a wheel stud remover tomorrow.

7 Likes

Thanks! Hoping to sort this out this weekend but that might be optimistic. When you have an ETA you can share I’m interested.