Do we have a stick welder?

I understand it is not the pretty way to weld, but:
1 - do we have a stick welder in the shop?
2 - Can somebody show me how to run it?

yes we have one. Currently @malcolmputer is the only one teaching it, but I’m sure others are able to as well.

do you know when the next class for stick is? I couldn’t find one on the calendar

Probably when it cools off, That’s when @malcolmputer seemed to think he was going to give another stick class. Stick isn’t one of those skills that is easily obtained. Practice probably takes 10 times that mig does to make a decent weld.

As Z says: I’ve already done the safety class. But I’m trying to be a good citizen and follow the rules. I guess I can just find a youtube video or the manufacturer’s documentation to find out what to plug in to where.

My point is that even getting someone to the point of striking an arc and holding it will be extremely time consuming. @zmetzing if you wanna teach it or anyone else with experience then that’s great, you have my support and we can help getting it setup.

4 Likes

I have no illusions about the difficulty of any of this stuff. It’s pretty easy to get an arc started wtih TIG and MIG but actually getting a good weld takes practice. If stick welding introduces a new challenge for just getting the arc started - I’m good with that. Just means I’ll be digging more shards out of the scrap bin to glue together until I can get it going consistently.

do we have a wire feed welder at DMS then? I just need a welder that will let me stick two pieces of metal together for a frame/jig. nothing fancy; the welding equivalent of duct tape

We have a Miller MIG and that’s about as easy as it gets.

Is the Hobart still around/set up for flux core only?
Because the gas valves went out, and we have other MIG and TIG, we’d labelled it as such, as it was still quit useful that way…

It is. I think it’s been a minute since she’s been fired up…

1 Like