Do we have a printer to print large photos (120cmx90cm or 36inx 48in)?

I need to print about 18 large portrait photos for an exhibition. Do we have a printer that allow us to print 120 cm x 90 cm size? about 36 in x 48 in? If we do, how much will it be to print? Please help!! Thank you in advance!!

I’m going to tag @jsnowfreedman, as I believe he knows the most about Betsy, our large format printer.

We do have two large format printers technically. Both should be able to print that, they’re only 42 in wide but they are roll feed so it should work.

It depends on the kind of print that’s being done generally charge a dollar per square foot. If it’s mostly outlines/ not heavy color or heavy ink, we will charge a dollar per linear foot instead. Payment is asked for all prints regardless of outcome - I recommend trying a small color strip first to make sures its working as needed.

I am not sure the condition of either of them. One of them I know needed a replacement part, I don’t think it’s been taken apart in fixed yet. The other is mostly working, although I believe that one of its printheads is bad so it may not be able to do full color.

I will likely not be up at the space hardly at all until well after election at this point, so I can’t say much to the state of the printers and if/when they will be fixed.

1 Like

Just a curiosity (because we were discussing this yesterday), where do these printers happen to be located?

EDIT: Since we’re only charging $1 per linear foot for “plot-like” prints, do users provide their own paper?

Both of the big printers are in the Pillar Room.

1 Like

Negative, the 1$/linear foot covers the cost of the paper.

1 Like

Thank you.
So we don’t know the quality of print it will produce?

Can you clarity. So it is just paper cost? Ink price not included?

No, the price he cites includes both paper and ink. That’s why there is a difference for plot-like vs. heavy ink prints.

That is correct. Both of the printers are old. The one at the back of the room at least runs, and sometimes it looks pretty good, but that’s not reliable.

Are you looking for a fine art print quality (it sounds like you are)? Is there a type if paper you have in mind ? Do you have a time frame of when? Do you have a High Res image that is READY to print? I have a resource for this size printing but it a little more realistically in cost but it is not $1/foot.

1 Like

Yikes! When I do the math, even at a fairly low 300dpi resolution - a 36" x 48" image would need over 155M pixels!!